You might also like
- Microsoft Web Platform : Turbocharge to build and run Web sites and applications on Windows
- New York Times daily Editor’s Pick on your iPad [Free]
- Xoopit : The fastest way to find images, attachments and Videos in Gmail
- How to type Indian Rupee Symbol using Keyboard [ Windows ]
- 15+ Dedicated file download search engines
In Windows when a user is created a profile generated. This profile acts as identity and place holder where all information for the user can be stored and can be used to identify him or her again. Many a times because of unusual events like Windows Crash, permission issues, Transfer of Windows Account etc the user profile get corrupted which either leaves the existing user account completely unusable or windows create a fresh account again sometimes and user will lose all its settings like desktop backgrounds, screen savers, pointer preferences, sound settings, and other features.
Before we start learning how we fix any corrupt account make sure you have a an account which either is admin or is admin privileged.
All the Windows User Profiles are located under C:\Users\UserName which contains all our settings. Now go to your account and unhide hidden folders and uncheck Hide Protected operating system files. You would see three files NTUSER.DAT, NTUSER.dat.log and ntuser.ini which you will need to be careful about.
- Login with your admin account and create new account.
- Now identify which user profile is corrupted and go to that folder which will be like C:\Users\UserName
- Unhide Folders / Files and display system files
- Copy everything from this folder except three files NTUSER.DAT, NTUSER.dat.log and ntuser.ini
- Go to new account folder located under C:\users and paste all the files you copied in above step.
- Logoff and login to the new account to confirm.
- Delete the old account.
This should fix your problems. Remember many a times because of some bug you might see Windows giving you a brand new profile but if you logoff and try logging in again you would see the issues getting fixed.
There is another alternative called as Reprofiler a software which can also help you in fix these issues by remapping users to their profiles, fixing registry settings and permissions which is required to fix any corrupt windows account.
It displays all the user accounts above and all the windows users folder below. Now to fix it or map to any other account you can just select first a user name above and a folder below and then hit Assign. This will make sure it copies and assigns proper settings. You can also remove / detach folders which is useful when it comes to erase the data. Download Reprofiler from here / Alternative