I had been using ESET Nod 32 Anti virus from more than a year. I would say the best anti virus of all we compared. Works silently , not heavy on system and knows if something is virus. It even passed the Anitvirus Test we made couple of months back.
Microsoft has released its own Antivitus product called as Morro and they call is Microsoft Security Essentials and I decided to give it a try. So the first step I did was to Uninstall the antivirus I have already and reboot my computer. In case you plan to use it, make sure after downloading it, this is firsts tep you follow too.
What is Microsoft Security Essentials ?
- Its basically an Antivirus Program which protects you against viruses and spyware, including Trojans, worms and other malicious software.
- It promises of no costs or annoying subscriptions to keep track of.
- Promised to be Light weight and lot of silence as most of things will be handled by it in background and will not prompt you unless reuired ( We will check this more closely ).
The First look :
Installation was simple and so is the interface. There is not much of options to configured actually. The default settings are more then enough unless you would really get into and find out what more is available.
The first thing it will do is update with latest Anitvirus and spyware definition files.
Morro update definitions of antivirus
Looking at the Settings :
One thing you should realize is that Morro is just an Anti virus and not a whole suite which can configure firewall and Internet securities and other things. It can provide you
- Real time protection, scan archive files, create system restore point
- You can exclude programs and files that can be skipped to be tested by the antivirus.
- Choose default actions when a virus or spayware is detected.
My Thoughts :
Morro is pretty light database. Not heavy on system and worth using it. I am pretty sure its scanning capabilities are good but in case I do find something odd, I will let you know.
Like I said its not a complete security pack. Security meaning not only Antivirus but also Internet Security, Filewall security etc. Nod 32 Antivirus had been playing both the roles perfectly.
My Next Move :
- Running Morro and ESET NOD32 Security Program together to find how it works together.
- Do some more virus detection test, Manav will be helping me in this.
- There are couple of more ideas to test this out.
I will let you know more on this.
Morro has a limit of downloads which will be soon exhausted. So if you are seeing this post now just download it now.