If you have many encrypted files in NTFS partition of windows and you want to access it after re-installation of windows the only way to do is to backup your encryption certificates before going for a fresh installation. Many people make this blunder mistake and they are not able to access those files.
Follow the following instruction to backup your encryption certificates
- In the Run Dialog Box [ win key + R ] type mmc and click ok.
- This will open the Microsoft Management Console.
- Select File > Add/Remove Snap in.
- Now click on Add and select Certificates and click Add
- Now go to Certificate – Current User > personal > Certificates
- Right click on the certificate, point to All tasks and click Export.
- Now you need to follow the instructions in the Certificate Export Wizard and associate private key to .pfx format.
- Also make sure you de-select the option of Delete the private key if export is successful option.
- Save this file to another partition or a floppy drive so that you can use it again after re-installation.
- After re-installation double click the exported key and follow the wizard. You will be able to get back access to encrypted folders.