You might also like
- Hate the Facebook ticker? Hide it now [Browser Extensions]
- How to find LPG cylinder’s expiry date?
- Simple trick to hide iPad / iPhone Lock & keep somebody busy looking for that
- Free Desktop app to batch download songs from Grooveshark
- Windows 8 : How to reset Start Screen and Block software to Pin to Start Screen
Today I bought My Linksys WRT54G2 ( Wireless G broadband) Router. In this post I will talk on how you can configure , With Lan Wire and Wireless , the router with ADSL broadband Modem. This can be similar to other modems also. Configuring the router was little tricky for me. I say tricky because its not hard its just we need to know how to do the right way. So lets get to the topic.
What I had ?
- ISP : BSNL borad band
- ADSL Modem SMART AX MT882 ( provided by broad band )
- My ISP had give me a Static IP and Some IP for default gateway.
- New : Linksys WRT54G2 Router
My Goal :
- Configure my Linksys WRT54G2 Router to talk to Modem and My computer to Router
- Configure for both Wired and Wireless connection
Though Linksys router / modem comes with a CD which has setup for making this work but it did not work for me. I had to do the manual way. In case you have any previous settings, please reset to factory settings.
Update : This should also work with
- Linksys WRT54G Router with huawei MT 880 or 882 BSNL modem. Thye have similar settings
- ADSL Modem/Router UT-300R2U with Linksys Wireless Router WRT54G
- BSNL smartAX MT882 modem and linksys WRT54G router
So finally It Should look like this :
Configuring for Wired Connection :
Saving Previous Settings :
- Make a note of all your IP, DNS IP address and Default Gateway which you can find in your current Ethernet /LAN connection. I had a static IP. The below step tells you how to do it.
- My Network Place > View Network
Connection. Select the network
connectionwhich is for your Ethernet.
Right Click the network
connection. Then go to properties You will see lot of things listed there. Look for Internet protocol ( TCP / IP ). It could also be IPv4
Now Click on properties button. It will open another window . Under general tab of the windows. You can see if the IP is set to manual or Dynamic.
If manual You will have all the IP, DNS, gateway listed right there. Save the ip address on notepad .Also if you have any DNS IP save it too.
- Now change your LAN settings to Dynamic IP and Remove option for DNS. So its all Dynamic no manual configuration.
- Do not change any configuration of your modem. Let it be the same and keep it on.
- We will need them when we actually make the modem and router talk.
Detecting Router and Changing Router IP Address
- Unplug the network cable connected to your current Modem.
- Plug the network cable ( Mine was Blue ) which comes with the Router Box pack to your computer. The other end goes into any of the Router Ethernet Port ( 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 )
- Now type in 192.168.1.1 in IE or Firefox or any browser. You will prompted for password which is admin. You must be logged into Linksys Router.
- Now since your ADSL modem is also having the same IP , we will change the IP address for WRT54G2 Router to 192.168.5.1
- Under Setup >Basic Setup look for Network Setup and Change Router IP. Change to 192.168.5.1 and Save changes.
- Since the IP has changed you will need to close the Browser.
- Sometimes the IP doesnt change automatically. Do a IPCONFIG / RELEASE and then IPCONFIG / Renew
Making WRT54G2 Router talk to ADSL broadband modem
- Plugin the Ethernet cable which comes from the Modem into the port on Wrt54g2 router which says Internet.
- Open Internet Explorer and Type in 192.168.5.1.
- Type in same password ( admin )
- You will be in Setup > Basic Setup
- Take a look at Section , Internet Setup. The current selection should be Automatic Configuration DHCP. Select Static IP instead.
- Add following details to it. In the first step we backed up All the IP configuration. Use them here
Internet IP Address: . . .
Subnet Mask: . . .
Gateway: . . .
Static DNS 1: . . .
Static DNS 2: . . .
Static DNS 3:
- Once Done just save changes and you should be back at same page.
- Now try to connect any application which talks to internet. You should be able to connect
Configuring for Wireless Connection :
Now once your Router is talking with Modem, it is pretty easy to connect on Wireless. The only thing we need to setup here is Security. Lets get WIFI
- Get to the Lynksys page again. Do all login and regualr stuff.
- Now look for menu Wireless, click on it. You should land on Basic Wireless Settings.
- Select wireless configuration to Manual .
- Wireless network mode to Mixed.
- Give a Wireless Network Name (SSID), make sure its unique.
- Make Wireless channel selection 11 ( 11 – 2.463 GHZ)
- Select Wireless SSID Broadcast to Enable
- Save Settings and you will be back at the same page with changes you made.
Now Lets secure the Router :
- Go to Wireless Security on the same page.
- You will need to configure here Security Mode : WPA Personal, WPA Algorithms: TKIP
- WPA Shared Key is what you will need when you connect to your router without wire. This key does the authentication and keep unwanted people away. Add 8 digit alphanumeric key.
- As suggested in comments, there is a new mode which you can use : WPA2 with AES
- Save changes.Just make sure you save that key to a notepad or remember it.
- Now last step, Move to next menu Security > Firewall .
- Uncheck Block Anonymous Internet Requests .
- Save Settings.
- Remove the blue cable which you had connected with Router.
That’s it. Now just turn on your WIFI and Search for the router. The name should be visible. Click to connect. At this stage it will ask you for the Password or Shared Key which we configures just above. It will connect and you will be able to connect to Internet.
That’s all Folks. This is how you connect WRT54G2 Linksys router with Adsl Broadband Modem. If you have any questions feel free to comment.