Few of my Email Subscribers asked me why they see Windows 7 Evaluation Copy build 7601 or even Test Mode Windows 7 Build 7600 at bottom right corner of the desktop, area right above desktop. These are popularly known as Windows 7 Watermark.
When asked back they had installed Legal copy of Windows which either they have bought online or from MSDN Subscription and some of them upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate but they still see the watermark.
Windows 7 Evaluation Copy build 7601 :
This shows up if you have beta SP1 Installed. Even I have it. So once the final version of SP1 comes out you will have this mark gone. Also to note that this is always displayed whenever you install a Evaluation Copy or pre-release copy.
How to remove it :
If this has shown on your desktop because you have installed Windows 7 SP1 Beta, I would suggest you to leave it because when SP1 Final Version comes out, you will be notified. Then you can first un install Windows 7 SP1 Beta and install the final version. This will automatically remove the Windows 7 Evaluation Copy Build 7601 watermark.
If you still want to remove this watermark there are two ways to do it :
- Set the value of This can be removed by setting the key value of PaintDesktopVersion under HK_Current_User\Control Panel\Desktop to Zero.
- Or Google For Windows 7 Watermark remover for this build. This path will remove the version or watermark stuff from user32.dll which you should backup first if the patch doesn’t give an option to.
Test Mode Windows 7 Build 7600 :
This shows up generally when you install a beta or RC copy of Windows 7.
How to Remove it :
- Type Cmd in Start menu.
- Mouse Hover Command, right click and run it as administrator.
- Type in
- bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS ,Hit enter
- bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING OFF. Hit Enter.
- Reboot and this till be gone.
At the end I would like to say that there is nothing wrong with these watermark showing up unless you have install patches etc from some where else and not from Microsoft Itself. So its your call to have it or drop it.