You might also like
- Free Download : Wallpapers for the ASUS EEE PC (1024×600)
- Remixing videos on YouTube does not violate DMCA
- Find calories, food group and daily recommendation of your food
- Backup Restore your wireless settings and profiles – Wireless Migrator
- Set transparent background to Taskbar and Softkey bars : Windows Mobile
In the How to tweak your Vista performance Part -1 of this series we covered the following vista tweaks to increase performance A) Disable some useless start up items first. B) Disable the not required services. C) Disable UAC (user account control) in Windows Vista. D) Disable Network Printer Search.Now lets move on to few more tweaks to increase performance of Vista.
UPDATE: New article written on Vista Tricks and Performance ( Click to read)
E) Disable Welcome Center
As soon as you install Windows Vista you are bombarded by the Welcome Center that is designed to help beginner Windows users easily configure their new computer. This new welcome screen is a nice feature the first time you start using Windows vista but quickly becomes annoying. Disabling the Welcome Center is very easy to do and can speed up your boot as well.How to do it…..
- Go to program menu, click on run. Typer “Regedit” and enter. This will open the registry windows.
- Navigate through HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software >Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion >Run.
- Right click on the WindowsWelcomeCenter key and select Delete.
Thats all , the next time you restart the Welcome Center will be gone.
E) Speed up Start Menu Search
When a users enters text in the search box on the start panel Windows automatically searches the file index as well. The file index includes all of the search able files on your hard drive and can be quite large. One way to speed up searching through your start menu applications is to narrow the scope of the search so that it does not include hard drive files. Prevent Start Menu Searches from searching the File index,How to do it….
- Open Registry Editor (regedit) as above.
- Navigate through HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Explorer > Advanced.
- Find and right click on Start_SearchFiles and select Modify.
- Set the Value to 0.
Restart the Explorer.exe process or just reboot your computer.
#Extra Tips on Vista
New article written on Vista Tricks and Performance ( Click to read) . Creating symlink, using check boxes for selecting etc
F) Uninstall / Turn off unneeded features
There are many new features in Windows Vista that are installed by default that you may not need. These extra and un-needed features can slow down your computer and take up more storage space.If you would like to uninstall, or turn off, these extra features, this tip is for you.Windows Features can be un-installed using the Windows Features utility. Follow these steps to uninstall applications such as the Windows Fax and Scan and many more:How to do it…
- Click on the Start Button and select Control Panel.
- Under Programs click Uninstall a program .
- On the side menu, click on Turn Windows features on or off .
- Scroll through the list as shown below and remove the check from any feature you do not want installed.
- Click OK when you are finished making your changes. The features will now be uninstalled.
G) Disable Vista Graphics
Don’t be surprised but this is required if you are running a software which might take huge cpu resources or memory. You can disable it for sometime so your work is completed fast.This setting however will change the look of windows vista drastically but according to me this setting is the most efficient setting for increasing the operational speed of windows vista.How to do it….
- Right click on desktop go to personalize.
- Now go to color and appearance settings
- Then go to classic windows appearance settings and select windows classic or windows standard display settings.
H ) Disable Superfetch Service for low memory systems
This service learns what programs you use most and loads them into memory at first site of your desktop when starting up. If you have 2-4gigs of mem then leave this service on because it is actually beneficial. And if you are a Administrator, there is a better way at turning off the “Welcome Center”, There is a “Turn on and Turn off” check box at the bottom left corner of the Welcome Center screen. I believe it’s called “Load at Windows Start-up”.
After you have finished your work, you can again enable by undoing in reverse manner. This was the second post in How to tweak your vista performance series. If you have missed the first post read How to tweak your Vista performance Part -1This post is contributed by Abhsihek at TechnixUpdate