Part time blogging is one of the most difficult things to do or rather difficult to manage specially when you have a family also to look around. I have a day job which takes away around 10 hours , stealing the time where I can be most effective. Even though it’s not easy but I do manage both of them along with preparing for interviews and keep upgrading myself.
This is one of the most common scenarios which is faced by many blogger. As a part of group writing project, I would share my 11 tips which can help you to manage both work and blogging activities.
- Maintain a Diary : Keep a diary where you can write your daily things I.e things to do, random ideas, quick notes. This will help you to save a lot of time and you will never scratch your head to think what you were thinking before.
- Make a Schedule : When it comes to manage more than one thing, a smart schedule is the only way. Decide how much time you need to give to a particular thing and stick to it. It might be difficult initially but once you get into the flow, your productivity will increase.
- Be Flexible: Sticking to a schedule does not mean you cant spare another minute extra. If you need to give some more time for a particular project go ahead. I had to change my timings depending on what kind of article I have to write and balance it out the other day.
- Read More than staring at your blog stats:This is one of biggest mistake many bloggers are still making. Checking your stats is a good thing but looking at it every 10 minutes is pretty bad. I realized this 3 months back. Read more articles and good blogs to understand what and how they do.Here is What I used to do every 20 minutes and spent 3 hrs , PLEASE DONT DO IT
- Checking My Adsense Account.
- Checking Analytics/ 103 Bees Stats.
- Checking feedburner to see how many live hits I have.
- Admiring how much money others are making and again checking my Adsense earnings
- First Write Then Read what others wrote : If you get to learn something which is new to you , don’t try to find what others have written. There are 2 reasons why I am saying this, First if you read others article you will loose your creative thinking, Secondly you might drop the idea of even writing it thinking it will be considered as copying. NOPE, you are wrong there. There is always a chance that you will come up with better explanations. So write at least a draft post and then go for exploring more. This will always give you a boost. Research only if you are very doubtful.
- Make Your own Bloggers Toolkit : There are many plugins, firefox extensions, feed readers and writing applications which an help you write or manage your posts faster. Find out more about them, make a list which can be useful to you and use it.This can not only save a lot of time but also allow you to more productive.
- Have a Blog Management Day:Nobody wants you to keep writing articles everyday and neither you will loose if you don’t write one day. Set aside one day like Sunday or Saturday where you can give a thought on
- What I had been doing this week.?
- Do I need to optimize or re-check my articles.?
- Do I have any pending emails to be answered.?
- How is my site stats doing ? Have I improved ?
- Do I need to read more about SEO and Designs ?
- What is my plan for the coming week ?
- Have some time separate for Social Networks: Blogging is not just writing article , its like a life where you need to communicate. Participate in social network sites like Digg, stumble, delicious and others. This will not only increase your points on them but also allow you to see what kind of articles are selling hot.
- Don’t waste your time on useless chatting : Networking is important but then nobody has time to waste. Its a bad habit of many people to waste time on chatting. Chat for fun but see what is important to you. Many people have suggested to at least turn your IM’s off when you are writing an article. It really helps
- Don’t answer comments immediately unless… Its not necessary that you need to answer a comment immediately unless its really important. Readers are always important but then your are not always siting there 24 hrs. Best is to answer them together after you get some comments or may be after a day.
- Make you own set of Time Management Scheme: What worked for me might work for you partially. So have your own set of rules which suits your work and environment but make it for sure. It will allow you to follow a self guideline of YES or NO.
So this is how I manage my blog and work. Many of them will be applicable to you and it rally helps. I had been following since 3 months now and Now I spend only 3 hrs on blogging. except Saturdays and Sunday.
How you manage your work and blog or may be school / college . Share with us in comments and I will learn some tips from you