You might also like
I remember paying a thousand bucks for getting a 128 MB USB drive and that was like 5 years back but now you can get even a 4GB stick in lesser price. Technology has improved and you get sleeker, powerful and very compact devices in lesser price when compared.
Few days back when I was cleaning up my Laptop and looked at the CD / DVD ROM slot, I was trying to remember when was the last time I used it. Honestly I haven’t used it except once or twice and if you are wondering why, USB stick is the answer.
What Makes USB Stick rock over CD / DVD Rom ?
- You don’t need extra hardware to write data on it.
- Compare amount of time you spend over writing into a Disc and copying to Flash Drives ?
- Perfect Portable device.
- You can even install any Operating system with it. I installed Windows 7 using that.
- Rom’s are hard to maintain for longer time. Scratches, cuts and on top so much of space it occupies.
- USB Ports are very where even in your Car Music System. And Even if you are not using USB stick to carry your songs you must have your Zune or Ipod to do that.
However there are few places where USB Stick doesn’t work out :
- USB is a costly business when you want to distribute it over a larger mass. CD or DVD costs like 20INR only.
- When you need to send a digital copy not everybody or every company has provision where you can give them online.
- USB still haven’t reached the amount of memory DVD can store.
- USB cannot be made read only forever which means data can be manipulated and this where DVD wins.
- USB will fail in Countries with poor economy
So the idea is not about winning or loosing or if one can replace the other but depends on the usage and where. At this point of time we might need both but on the higher end USB are winning and may be, just may be in future we can get a better alternative to merge both.
Here are few thoughts from friends who responded when I asked
- Gaurav Saha : I, for one, want to completely do away with the CD Rom drive.
- Liew Cheon Fong : I almost don’t use the DVD drive. Except installing OS.
- Sahil Gupta : And Pendrives will be replaced by Data on Clouds. I have been using Dropbox from quite sometime now.
- narayananh : been ages since i had any use for a cd/dvd.. its thumbdrives/external hdd’s
- venkat_ty The only use of CD/DVD roms is for installing OS if bios doesn’t support Boot from USB. USB is the future with usb 3.0 ard.
And Here is a Poll for you :
Whats your thought on this ?