You might also like
- Fonts – How does text emerge in pretty shapes from the blandness of bytes
- How to get embed code of a YouTube Video while it’s still uploading
- Recover Lost Instant Messenger Passwords
- ShareWatch : Find who is connected to a computer and what files they are accessing
- How to create Albums in iPad when importing images
iCloud is personal while Apple Store is not. If you have shared one email account with your family you know what I mean if not read along.
The basic difference between iCloud Account and App Store Account ( Or the Apple Id )
iCloud Account on your iPhone or iPad allows you to sync your personal data right from Email, Favorite Songs, Documents etc to the cloud while App Store Account is only to buy Apps, Songs or any form for purchases. The former is a backup the later is only your passport to get new stuff.
Where the problem begins ?
Starting with iOS 5, anybody who sets up his iPad for the first time is also asked to setup for an iCloud account and he or she ends up creating an iCloud Account using the same Apple Id because it is filled in by default to your iCloud Account Signup form.
Sharing same Apple Account with your Family ?
This is where everybody will go crazy. Lets say you have already created an iCloud account using the same Apple account. Next your Wife Upgrades and does the same stuff and then your son.
Since all of you are using the same account for iCloud, all your data will be now shared and I am sure you don’t want your Son to see your Bank Details or even confidential emails. And I am sure if all of you have a good amount of data, you will be running out of 5GB data back soon.
So what you should have done and How to Fix it ?
The best option was to skip it the first time when your iDevice asked for iCloud Setup. So if you are reading this before you have done it till now, skip is an option you get right on iCloud Setup form ( Right Lower ). In case you have already done it follow the steps :
On Your iPad / iPhone :
- Take up the iPad or iPhone which has your data.
- Now go to Settings > iCloud and turn of all the backup options to OFF.
- This will make sure the data you have on your device stays on your device.
- Next select Delete Account.
- This will just remove all the data on iCloud and will not disable the account so dont worry. So you can still use the same id again.
On your Family members iDevice :
- Now go and repeat the same steps on all your family idevice with iCloud Settings except dont turn them off but keep them on.
- Now we are even. The data is on your device and off everybody’s else.
- In case your family members have backedup data anytime before, just use it to restore.
Setting up Different Account for iCloud :
Now setup a new iCloud account different for every family members this will make sure that you and everybody else have their own data backed up to their own account. The whole thing is a bit of trade-off as rest of the members need to recover their settings again.
Just in case if you find changing this bit difficult on all device taking them into hand individually, you can use the iCloud Control Panel to manage all the iCloud Account at one place.
At the end, Why Turning off Automatic Download is a good option for App Store :
App Store now gives you option to download any content like Books, Apps and Music to all the device when bought on one. Now in case If you or your wife is a download junkie, you will see any app which you bought gets downloaded to your Sons iDevice and on your wife’s iDevice. So the best is to turn this option off when a App Store Apple Account is shared with all and download individually to every device.