The cut, copy and paste feature of Windows devices is a lifesaver for many people. Did you know that you can also copy file paths? File paths are helpful for many purposes, such as copying them to the clipboard to be pasted into another location.
In this article, we’ll learn more about copying file paths in Windows and how valuable that feature is. Before that, let’s learn the possible purposes behind copying file paths. So without any further delay, let’s begin.
Why Copy File Paths?
Copying file paths in Windows is a great way to access files and folders quickly. It’s faster than navigating through the directory structure, plus it eliminates any potential errors that may occur when manually typing out long path names. Additionally, copying file paths can easily be used for sharing or transferring data between computers.
There are several ways a Windows user can go about copying the file path of any file. You can either copy the full path leading to that file or use the various utilities Windows offers to do it for you.
How to Copy File Path in Windows
In this section, we’ll learn a few ways to quickly copy the file path to any file in our Windows system. There are multiple ways of doing so. Here’s all that’s covered in this article:
- Windows Right Click Context Menu
- Path Copy Copy Software
- Altap Salamander File Manager
Try these applications, and then choose what works best for you.
1] Using Windows Right Click Context Menu
Windows provides plenty of ways to copy a File Path in the Windows File Explorer. Follow the steps listed below to copy the File Path of the desired file in the Windows File Explorer:
- Press the Windows + E key to launch the Windows File Explorer.
- Navigate to the file you wish to copy the file path of.
- Now there are multiple ways you can copy its file path. The quickest way of doing so in Windows 11 is by clicking on the file and selecting the option of Copy as a path. You can also press the Ctrl + Shift + C to do so.
Aside from the way mentioned above, there are numerous external softwares that you can rely on for copying file paths out there, and we’ve handpicked the best ones for you.
2] Using Path Copy Copy Software
Path Copy Copy is a software designed to add context menu items to every file and folder in your Windows system, specifically for users to copy file paths in Windows in whatever format they want. It is free to use and stands atop other softwares of the same kind.
- Allows you to copy the File/Folder and the File Path as well
- It provides you with options to copy elements other than just the file path, like the name of the file and the parent folder path
- It gives you a submenu with more flexible options for copying file paths every single time
- Option to customize commands in the submenu
- Free to use
- User friendly
- Customization options for submenu commands
- Frequent crashes
- It may not be listed under System Settings, and Control Panel, which makes it hard to uninstall
3] Using Altap Salamander File Manager
Just like Path Copy Copy, Altap Salamander is an external app you can rely on for copying the file path of any desired file in Windows. It differs from Path Copy because Altap Salamander is a fully-fledged file manager with many features, including copying file paths.
- You can copy the file names or the focused directory to the clipboard.
- It gives you different options to copy any file’s name, path, or name + path.
- You can also copy the UNC path + name of a file.
- Other advanced file explorer features.
- Small learning curve
- Keyboard and mouse shortcuts for almost every command
- Easy to navigate
- Free to use
- Multiple available options for copying file path
- Shortcuts can’t be customized
- Rather slow updates
- No tabs supported in dual panes view
This article taught us several ways to copy a specific file path in Windows and how it can be more efficient in many situations. Windows provides sufficient features without relying on external softwares, but softwares designed specifically for that feature offers more functionality and commands that make them an appealing choice. That said, we’ll now wrap this article up in hopes that it will help you.