Many a times it is required to compare couple of twitter accounts to find various data like :
- Who Tweeted Most
- Who’s Tweet were Retweeted Most
- During which part of the day the accounts are most active
- Top Hashtags
- Tone of the tweets i.e. Positive or Negative
As of now Twitter does not provide an insight for these kind of features but a recently released tool, Analytics for Twitter, which uses combination of PowerPivot and Twitter API, provides insight for these kind of data to compare twitter accounts in Office Excel. Below is a video demonstration followed by detailed instructions on how you can make use of it.
Video demo for Analytics for Twitter
First Glance :
You have charts for Tweets by Day, Top Hash tags, Top Mentions, Top Tweeters, Tweet Type, Tone, Time of Day. Along with these you also have powerful filters, on the right, for all of these to find detailed insights.
Installation Instructions :
First download the excel file from here. Launch and if you do not have PowerPivot for excel, it will take you to download page. Download and Install. Once every thing is complete you are ready to use. Make sure to close the excel file before installing the PowerPivot for Excel.
How to grab data for new Twitter Accounts ?
- You have search like text box where you can enter new twitter accounts separated by a comma.
- Click the Blue Search button and it will start retrieving tweets and save it in a database that is already available in the excel file.
- Once done, you need to select the Power Pivot Tab and then click on Update All Button.
- Next, you need to right-click on a chart and select Refresh Data.
- This will update the charts with the latest data that you downloaded.
Example : How to compare twitter accounts
This is an interactive dashboard. On right hand side you will lot of filters available based on the metadata like Tone, Tweet Type, Twitter Accounts etc. Click on any of them and all the charts in the excel will filter data according to that.
For example if you want to find out, between two twitter account, who gets more re-tweets and who is more positive
- First select two twitter accounts using Control + Mouse selection
- Then Select Positive from Tone Filter, Retweet from Tweet Type filter.
- This will give you the exact data.