What’s the most commonly used application when it comes down to Internet? It’s simple – Browsers. You need anything you want to do if it’s about the internet! It’s a catalytic converter that converts anything so that you can “see it ” and interact with it, independent of the technology running in the background.
That’s why every application today is accessible through browsers, be it online office suite, emails, watching videos, or playing games. So have you ever thought if you can just log on somewhere and it gives you a complete operating system!!!
Yeah, you got it right. I am talking about a web browser that will give an environment where you can have things (well, most of the things) that you do on the computer. Welcome to Browser Based Operating System !!
What is Browser Based Operating System?
In simple words, It’s like an application that runs on the browser like any normal page and has applications running behind which can simulate the whole computer environment.
To be a little technical, it’s a program that simulates a desktop and has buttons that simulate things like my computer, which can have to recycle bin, feeds, flicker support, and others.
My Views on this evolving technology
Now, If you understand this topic, let’s take a lateral view and discuss. In the end, I will give snapshots and links so you can have fun with them.
Let’s start with IT. Do they require it? It’s a definite yes. Why lets list out the benefits:
- Too many computers to manage in a business. They need regular updating and individual attention.
- Lack of central Security. You need to secure each and every computer, miss one, and lose data which can cost you in the future.
- If you have one OS running over and everybody can login remotely, with their own personal preferences.
- IT managers can decide what users can use and what not.
- Centrally secured, and the cost of software can be controlled.
Next is Software. Now, think you are a super genius and made software. You want people to use it without worrying about space and installation. So here we go.
- Make your own Browser Based OS or buy it. Install the software on that OS.
- Ask people to use it online and pay as you set the rules.
- Even you can develop software here and be free from virus bugs and other things.
Media can be a considerable benefit. Start A TV channel and do this:
- Make it run on a browser-based OS.
- Maintain a proper bandwidth, so people don’t get delayed transmission.
- Ask them to pay for you instead of setup boxes.
- Give them some more features, so they stick to yours.
These are a few ideas which you can think of. The future can be surprising if implemented properly. But then there are controversies.
We already have those things implemented with remote desktop or YouTube. I will like it more to see on my TV and others, but still, we forget one thing, It’s a Browser power you have with you, I don’t think you can run a flash on TV, or you can click ads on TV.
Look at the images below and have a feel of it.
The idea is nascent but a powerful one. I think it has a future. What do you think? Would you like to use it? If yes, why, and if not, why not? Tell me in the comment box, and let’s have a debate on it.