During Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 time, I wrote about this software—Mojopac—that allows you to install Windows on a USB drive. It allowed one to use Windows on any computer without the need to use a guest account on another computer. Fast forward today, it is still possible to install and run Windows 10 on a USB Drive. I am going to show you how you can do it.
How to run Windows 10 on a USB Drive?
Before you start thinking big, let me get this clear. You need it only when you do not want to use anybody else’s computer. Windows 10 on a USB drive enables you to carry all your thing, customization, browser settings, and so on with you. It is not so you can play a high-end game or anything which needs solid PC power. USB as a storage device might not give you good speed as an HDD or SSD.
What do you need?
- A USB drive of at least 32 GB and make sure to pick of quality speed if you plan to use it for long.
- Since it is going to be a new Windows 10 installation, you will need a license to activate it. However, since it is pointless to get it, I will suggest you to signup for the Insiders program, and choose the most stable build.
- Make sure to have a stable internet connection to set it up for the first time.
How to install and run Windows 10 on USB
Download and Install on USB Drive
- Download and install the WintoUSB software from Easyuefi.
- Next, download Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft. Follow our guide on how you can download it on Windows.
- Insert the USB drive on the computer.
- Launch the WintoUSB application, select the ISO file, and then the Windows version
- In the next screen, you will have multiple options
- MBR for BIOS
- GPT to UEFI
- MBR for BIOS and UEFI
- Select the “MBR for BIOS” and then click Yes.
- In the next screen, choose the legacy mode for installation
- It will install Windows 10 on the USB drive, and once it reaches 100%, the installation is ready
Setup Windows 10 on USB
- Restart the computer, and boot into the BIOS
- Here you need to change the boot sequence. Select the USB drive where you have Windows 10.
- Restart again, and the computer will boot into Windows 10 which is on the USB
- You will have to go through the initial setup process
- Next, go to Settings > Update and Security > Windows Insider Program
- Signup for the most stable build using the Microsoft account.
- Once you are in the insider program, it will download updates.
- Once all this is complete, make sure to install the apps, drivers, and so on.
After this, everything is ready, To use it on a different computer, you will have to go BIOS of the computer, and boot from this USB drive to use it. Do note, Windows will install basic drivers every time you boot from a new computer.
Carry your Laptop in a USB drive with Mojopac
Mojopac is a small tool that can be installed on your USB drive, and it gives you virtually your own Windows XP / Vista / 7 environment. This way, you can use your applications, install new software on the USB Drive, and use it by attaching to any system. In this post, we will share how you can carry your Laptop in a USB drive with MojoPac.
Want to use Acrobat on any system you use, but you can not because of the License problem. You want your set of software anywhere you go, and you don’t want to install on the other system because he doesn’t like his system settings to get changed.
Well, here is your answer Carry Your All folders, software, and settings (virtually your complete laptop) on to a USB Drive. In simple words, plug in your USB drive to the other computer and start using your PC without touching even a single file of others! Surprised? Well even I was, but it works 100% and its called as MojoPac
How does it work?
It copies a few necessary files of windows along with its data on the targeted USB drive. Mojopac emulates the Windows environment, so any software you install, it feels like its installing on a windows machine.
I tested it on a 1 Gb USB 2.0 flash drive, and USB drove hard drive both. The OS I am using is Windows XP. I will be provided with the system requirement at the end.
- Download Mojopac software, (link will be given at the end)
- As it doesn’t overwrite the files, you can use the USB flash drive easily. Connect it.
- The downloaded version is a 30 days trial pack. You have to register on the site, so you can have it activated, else it will not work, and registering is a one-step process. Go ahead.
- Copy your settings, Software like Firefox, etc. and my folder to mojo environment. After this, you will be prompted to create a user name and password that you can use it to log in to the Mojopac environment.
- Run It and Login
It has its program menu, my computer, and if you get any prompt, like a message on windows, there is a switch button to get you back to windows.
What’s the Advantage?
You can carry your favorite software that works on Windows XP in Mojopac and use it on the system even if it is not installed on the host machine. It does not create problems with the license issue as you have installed once on Mojopac. It’s excellent in case the person doesn’t have a laptop even but can create its settings and use it yet everywhere.
Can I play games?
Sure you can, according to specifications and the test, You can play games too. Make sure to check their site for more details.
Update: Mojopac has been discontinued. Read more about it here