Were you installing some heavy graphics games or apps, and the DirectX Setup Could Not Download The File error interrupted you? When the game doesn’t find the version of DirectX required to play the game, it will start downloading it. However, there can be a network issue, and the progress is interrupted. In this post, we will share what you can do if you want to fix the DirectX setup and cannot download the file. The entire error message is displayed as:
DirectX Setup Could Not Download The File. Please Retry Later or Check The Network Connection
Start by restarting your PC, which will clear any temporary bug blocking the connection. If it doesn’t work, the unstable internet could interrupt the download and lead to the error.
You would be using Antivirus or Firewall, which prevents the download from resulting in the error, so disable it. If you don’t, Windows has inbuilt Antivirus and Firewalls, which might block installation, so turn it off and try again.
Fix DirectX Setup Could Not Download the File. Please Retry Later or Check the Network Connection.
If the basic troubleshooting methods didn’t work for you, then you are no different. There can be various causes for the error, and accordingly, the solutions are.
Below-mentioned is a list of the solutions for DirectX installation errors:
- Flush DNS Cache and Reset Network Configuration
- Check and Install if .NET Framework is Active
- Troubleshoot .NET Framework
Some of these may need admin permission.
1] Flush DNS Cache and Reset Network Configuration
DNS ensures you are downloading from the right source, but the download gets interrupted if the source changes and the DNS still point to an outdated source or IP. While you can try to download it again, a better way would be to refresh the DNS Cache so it can find the new source of download.
- Open Windows Terminal and Run as Administrator.
ipconfig /flushdnsand click Enter.
- You can see a statement as “Successfully Flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.”
netsh winsock resetand click Enter.
- You can see a statement as “Successfully Reset the Winsock Catalog.
Now, restart your computer for the process to complete. You can also run the network troubleshooter and let Windows handle all the processes.
3] Check and Install if .Net Framework is Active
.NET gives access to many tools and class libraries to create high-quality applications and is essential to run DirectX. Therefore, you must have it installed and active on your PC.
- Press Windows + R to get the Run Box.
- Type cmd and click ctrl + shift + enter.
- Type the following command:
DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /Featurename:NetFX3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:D:sourcessxs
- Install DirectX and check if it works after .Net Framework is active
Here, you can see the path of the DISM log file, try installing the DirectX; if it doesn’t work, follow the further instructions.
4] Troubleshoot .NET Framework
The .NET Framework would have developed errors specific errors, and hence it doesn’t perform well. Thus, you need to fix the framework to install DirectX.
- Open the link in your browser, and download Repair Tool to download the installer.
- Open the downloaded file, Accept the license terms, and click Next.
- Click Next to save the changes.
- Click Finish to close the tool.
This process will repair your .NET Framework if you have any issues downloading it.
Downloading a game and receiving a DirectX Setup Could Not Download the File issue can be annoying. The above methods are tested and quite effective for the error message. But if it does not work, you should download DirectX directly from the link here.
How to check DirectX Compatibility?
DirectX needs to be compatible with your PC for it to install successfully. So, you must check your system specifications and whether it meets that of DirectX.
- Open Windows Settings.
- Scroll down and go to About.
- You can now see your device specifications.
- Now, compare it with that of DirectX specs listed online
If your PC doesn’t meet the criteria, you must upgrade it for installation. Besides, if it does, then the following methods will help you!