DirectX 10.1, The Directx 10 extension that available download via Windows Vista Services Pack 1 Build 6001.16659. This is a huge improvement over of DirectX 10
The new features of DirectX 10.1 are :
- Shading and texturing capabilities,
- Anti-aliasing improvements, with tighter specifications
- More information of DirectX 10.1 can be found in AMD-ATI’s whitepaper
However if you want to utilize the new features of DirectX 10.1 will require you to have a new GPU hardware. But again Microsoft has open its gate for this new version for testers only but there is a way to get it.
- Install the service pack to download Direct X 10.1 for Windows Vista, Windows Update Services using a registry hack. which you can read it here Hack tips for Windows Vista Services Pack 1 for DirectX 10.1
Instructions to active Directx 10.1 on Windows vista:
- Save this text file as File.cmd
- Then run the batch file with elevated administrator privileges.
- Install and reboot the computer after installing each update: KB935509, KB937287 and KB93837.
- After the final reboot, you will get the option to download Windows Vista SP1 in Windows Update.
- Verify that you have DirectX 10.1 by running dxdiag from the command prompt.
The main idea behind DirectX 10.1 is to give benefits to the programming interface which has some limitations in DirectX 10, You can get to see the new graphical techniques that will take the quality of 3D graphic soon.
There are lot of advantages which includes
- Illumination delivering lighting
- Shadow quality in real-time