When Windows introduced the Libraries feature, users could also change the default folder locations. It comprises personal folders like Downloads, Documents, Pictures, etc. When trying to move such personal folders in Windows for the second time, some users encounter the error Can’t move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can’t be redirected. Since these folders are so closely interwoven with OneDrive, some users might prefer to keep them on Google Drive or Dropbox. So, in this article, I have shared three solutions to fix this error. Read on to find out more.
What Causes the Error?
Some of the causes of the mistake are listed below:
- OneDrive sync problems: The error message is typically caused by a OneDrive issue.
- Corrupt system files: Users frequently encounter this issue because of corrupt system files, which should be fixed to resolve the issue.
- File mapping: Users have said that folder mapping is the cause of this error, so reverting to defaults resolved issues.
So, now that you have learned about the causes of the error let us move on to the solutions to fix the error.
Fix: Can’t Move the Folder as There is a Folder in the Same Location that can’t be Redirected Error
Given below are the three solutions to fix the error:
- Fix Folder Location using Windows Registry
- Set a Default Path to Move the Folder
- Re-Link Onedrive to Your PC
You will need an administrator account to achieve this. Ensure to create a system restore point before going ahead. If something goes wrong, you can use it to restore.
1] Fix Folder Location using Windows Registry
Be cautious when you make registry changes because if it is not edited correctly, it might pave the way to severe issues. Back up the registry for restoration before making any changes if something goes wrong. Follow the steps given below to use the Registry:
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialogue box.
- Type regedit.exe and press OK to open Registry Editor
- Copy and paste the following path into the Registry Editor and press Enter.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
- Select the folder displaying the error from the list on the right and double-click on it.
- Use the list below to replace the current value data with the corresponding Default Value:
- After changing the value data using the list above, save the changes by clicking OK and closing the Registry Editor.
2] Set a Default Path to Move the Folder
The following method you can use is to set a default path to move the folder. Here is how to go about it:
- Right-click on the folder that is having the issue and choose Properties from the drop-down menu.
- In the Document Properties window, click on the Location tab and click on the Restore Default button and click OK.
Ensure that you transfer every file from the old location to the new one, or else you will face data loss.
3] Re-Link OneDrive to Your PC
The following method you can use to fix the error is by re-linking OneDrive to your PC. So, first, you need to unlink OneDrive, i.e., Uninstall OneDrive, Remove any files left, and then reinstall
- Click on the Show hidden icons arrow, right-click on the OneDrive icon, and choose Settings.
- Go to the Account tab and click on Unlink this PC.
- In the Windows Start search bar, type credentials and select Credentials Manager.
- Click on the Windows Credentials option and delete any records containing OneDrive Cached Credentials.
- OneDrive will sync your files and folders back to your PC. Even though OneDrive will not download all your files, it will take some time.
The error usually happens when Windows users move their folders into OneDrive or in a similar location.
The error mainly occurs when a user tries to move files into OneDrive, and a similar name folder is available there. So it’s crucial that it does not conflict with another folder when you add a folder. I hope this article helped you solve the issue—Can’t move the folder as there is a folder in the same location that can’t be redirected— error. You can try all the solutions or one, as per your preference.