Over the years, the technology involved in manufacturing an automobile has become more advanced, as automakers shift their focus from basic transportation to the design of features that make a vehicle safer, more comfortable, and more easily operated. Cars are not easy to track down unless you have some ideas. But these days the new cars are coming with a ready to technology called as global positioning system (GPS). This cannot only be helpful in tracking but also to find from where you are reading my blog !!
What is Global Positioning System or GPS?
The Global Positioning System, usually called GPS,is the only fully-functional satellite navigation system. A constellation of more than two dozen GPS satellites broadcasts precise timing signals by radio, allowing any GPS receiver (abbreviated to GPSr) to accurately determine its location.
How GPS technology Works?
A GPS unit consists of a space segment, a control segment, and a user segment. The space segment is a constellation of two dozen satellites orbiting the earth twice every 24 hours, at approximately 10,900 nautical miles above the earth’s surface .Four satellites are used simultaneously to pinpoint the precise position of the receiver on the earth. Information from the first three satellites narrows down the range of possible locations to two points; one of these is usually illogical and indicates a point not on the earth. A fourth satellite is used to confirm the target location.The accuracy of a typical GPS receiver is about 10-15 meters. This may not be practical for locating a small object such as an automobile,
So how it can works with cars?
GPS can do a lot of thngs like
- Tracks the distance traveled on a particular trip,
- Vehicle mileage, and speed.
- It can keep a record of driving activity, including the address of each destination, names of streets traveled,
- Some systems issue warnings when the car is speeding and when the car is approaching a speed trap.
- Can aid in the recovery of a stolen car. Integrated with the automobile security system, GPS can notify the car owner by phone or e-mail when the car alarm is triggered, and indicate the location of the car.
Quick Case Studies
The Ford They have developed a new telematic system through GPS on the Ford Focus, that will
- alert emergency services when an airbag deploys.
- The emergency services can locate the vehicle quickly and provide assistance to an injured driver or passengers.
- The Ford automobile company has developed a new telematic system through GPS on the Ford Focus, that will alert emergency services when an airbag deploys.
BMW : BMW web site indicates that a GPS navigation system is available on a concept car, but I cant determine if it is a standard option or not.BMW web site indicates that a GPS navigation system is available on a concept car, but I can’t determine if it is a standard option or not
The OnStar system : They uses a GPS receiver and a built-in cellular phone to provide several safety and convenience services. First, in the event that the air bag deploys, cadillac customer service will notify emergency services for you. If the car is stolen, Cadillac can provide the police with the last known location. Roadside assistance can be dispatched based on GPS location. Other customer services, such as directions to the nearest hotel, are also available.
Lexus : Lexus’ web site says that they have an on-board navigation system directs driver to destination by display screens and voice queues.
So what do you think about GPS, have you seen it somewhere and if yes what do you think about it. Say in comments