I have met many people online and around me, most of them with some major complain “I cant find this on Google”. Well that is surprising. All of the search I had done till date, hardly one of 1000 will fail and that also sometimes doesn’t happen. So here are some tips if you want to search. It’s easy, you just got to read it with some concentration.
- Use Google tool bar : There is no need to set home page or even visit Google’s site. Toolbar is faster. You can download it here.
- Filter Search Results: If you see a lot of porn material results coming on your search, what you can do is set the “Safe Search option On “ or “Use Strict Filtering”.
- Excluding Unwanted Results : If you want certain things not to be included in your search result, just add “-minus sign) before that word. For example, “apple -banana”, So banana will not come into search results.
- The use of Quotes: If you want to look for a particular sentence put them in quotes. So the search engine can understand you are trying to find a particular line. I had been using them when I get some error in WordPress. It exactly locates the error phrase.
- Cached Result: If some page is taking too much time to load you can go for it. On every search result, at the end of the link, there is one more link as “Cached Result”. Clicking on that will give you a access to the offline webpage but its possible that the data is not an updated data.
- Force Keywords: Sometimes when we look for certain words, Its listed at the bottom of search result. Google displays result according to many factors, say for For example, “Ashish Java Blog”, In this java and blog have higher preference that ashish, so ashish might be listed somewhere down the page. So to force google to give ashish higher preference use “+” sign. So the words would be now “Ashish+java+blogs”. Now the search engine can target ashish.
- Ready Info: Google has some hidden gems. Some things you can get direct. Suppose you want to know some persons birth date, instead of writing pages like “When was Mozart born” type “Mozart Born”.
- Quick Definitions: Did you know google has “define” command embedded in search engine!!! Even I was surprised. If you want to find some definition use like this “define:blogging”.
- Searching within site: Some sites have google search engines on their home page, so if you want to search something in that site, you need not to go to that site, surprised? Use this “site:www.examplesite.com”
- Misc: For specifying the domain name use like this “admissions:edu”. For specifying file type “filetype:pdf”. For looking a word in the site’s title “allintitle: micerosoft knowledge” (Keep a space in between allintitle: and Microsoft).
All right no more. It’s a little long but i can bet these are useful. So if you have given your time to read this, I am sure you can search better now. Hey do you have more? Just put into comments and let other and me know about it.