Here is an interesting tip shared by one of our readers James for securing your laptop with a home made lock using your old USB drive.
Hi, I am submitting a tech tip for your blog readers.
A New Life To Old Flash Drives. Don’t throw your old USB flash drive away. Instead, you can use an old flash drive to prevent your laptop from being stolen. Here is how.
- Install free software on your laptop. http://www.lalarm.com/LaptopAlarm. (free for personal use)
- Fasten a neck strap to your old USB flash drive.
- Fasten the other end of the strap to a table.
- Plug in the USB flash drive into a USB port of a laptop.
- Lock the laptop by pressing the Windows logo key and L key together.
- Define zones like Home or Friends where you know laptop would be safe.
- Send alert to Mobile Device.
- Destroys all your personal data if configured. This tip is also useful if you worry about identity theft.
When a thief removes the laptop from the table, the USB flash drive will be disconnected from the laptop and then a loud siren sound will be emitted.
(See More photos: http://www.lalarm.com/arm2)