Windows Blue Screen of Death is the most terrible thing which happens when there is a system failure and machine comes to a halt. The next you do is power down the machine and start it manually. However, you can enable or disable the auto-restart feature in Windows 10 in case of System Failure.
Enable or disable the auto-restart feature in Windows 10 in case of System Failure
1] Control Panel
- Open File Explorer, and right-click on This PC icon on the left panel
- Then click on Advanced Settings which will open the System Properties window
- Switch to Advanced tab, and click on the Settings button under Startup and Recovery
- Under System failure section, check the box which says Automatically restart
You can also launch System Properties directly by running sysdm.cpl through the run prompt.
Now the next time your computer goes for a system failure, it will automatically restart. But You will have to wait for the dump to get created. However, the settings offer a couple of more settings that you can change.
- Wite an even to the system log
- Small dump directory
- Choose what kind of dump you want the system to save i.e., Kernel, Memory, Active memory, and so on.
It is advised not to disable these options as it may come handy to troubleshoot the exact issue by a technical person.
2] Enable or Disable Automatic Restart Using Command Prompt
Open Command Prompt with Admin Permission, and type the following commands to enable or disable the system failure. You can also use PowerShell to execute the same command.
Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure
Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure: wmic recoveros set AutoReboot = False
Enable Automatic Restart on System Failure
Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure: wmic recoveros set AutoReboot = True
3] Enable or Disable Automatic Restart using Registry
- Open Run Prompt, and type Regedit to open Registry Editor
- Then navigate to
- Double-click on AutoReboot, and set the value to 0 to disable it, and 1 to enable it
I hope the post was easy to follow, and you were able to disable or enable the auto-restart feature in Windows 10 case of System Failure.