The internet is a necessary tool in the modern age, but it has drawbacks. Parents, organizations, and employers may feel the need to ban specific websites due to the accessibility of undesirable content on the internet. There is no need to worry; you can block websites on your browser using extensions to block unwanted websites. This article will share extensions to block Chrome, Firefox, and Edge websites.
How to Blacklist or Block Websites in Chrome, Firefox, Edge Browsers
Given below are four extensions you can use to blacklist or block websites in Chrome, Firefox, or Edge browsers:
- BlockSite: Block Websites & Stay Focused
- LeechBlock NG
- Otto – Pomodoro Timer and Website Blocker
- StayFocusd – Block Distracting Websites
Try each of them to figure out what works best for you.
1] BlockSite: Block Websites & Stay Focused
The BlockSite website helps you to maintain focus and eliminates distractions from your work in a matter of clicks, making productivity your top priority! It is an excellent time management app as it allows you to manage your surfing material by blocking websites and apps you do not require, thus helping you stay focused on your work. Once downloaded, it takes a few quick clicks to prevent procrastination, improve concentration, and stop wasting time.
Now, let us move on to the features of the BlockSite extension and where they are available:
- Stay Focused Extension: BlockSite enables you to eliminate any hazardous and distracting websites from your browser by blocking them for you when you need to stay focused and productive. Even at work or school, you can use a focus timer to keep yourself on track and on task.
- Focus Mode: You can manage your time using the Pomodoro technique timer with the Focus Mode timer option. Divide your work into intervals of 25 minutes, followed by a brief break. With Focus Mode, you can choose when to block websites and when to browse without restriction.
- Block by Category: Thanks to the most recent update, you can now ban thousands of websites in bulk. You can block websites that belong to the same category with only one click rather than blocking them one at a time, making your work time more effective than ever. You can choose by category, keywords, or websites. Note that the free version only allows two sites to be blocked.
- Sync: BlockSite is a cross-browser website/URL and app blocker that aids web usage, distraction, and addiction management. To be productive and have complete control over your time wherever you are, it is also available on the Google Play Store and can be synced between your PC and mobile.
So, these are the features of the BlockSite extension. You can block unwanted websites and focus on your work without any distractions. BlockSite extension supports blocking on Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Firefox.
You can download the BlockSite: Block Websites & Stay Focused extension here.
2] LeechBlock NG
LeechBlock NG is a straightforward productivity solution that works as a browser plugin to block time-wasting websites from ruining your working day. Given below are the features of LeechBlock NG:
- Lockdown: Immediately block websites for a predetermined amount of time. Click on the added LeechBlock Extension on your browser and choose the Lockdown option. In the Lockdown settings page, you can choose the enter the duration of the lockdown and enter the select sites to block during the lockdown. You can choose the block sets from Options.
- Access control: Create a random access code or password for the options page to slow you down when you feel tired.
- Delaying: Instead of barring website access, set a timer to delay it.
- Exceptions: Make a whitelist of websites (like +allowedsite.com) you do not want to block.
- Keywords: You can block sites or allow them based on their keywords (such as badword).
You can block up to 30 sets of sites, each with its times and days. You can block sites during set times (for example, between 9 am and 5 pm), after a set amount of time (for example, allow up to 10 minutes per hour), or use a mix of both (for example, allow up to 10 minutes between 9 am and 5 pm).
LeechBlock is available on Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and Microsoft Edge.
You can download the LeechBlock NG extension from here.
3] Otto – Pomodoro Timer and Website Blocker
Otto is a timer and website blocker to assist you in maintaining your focus and productive workflow. This extension is only available for Chrome websites, and you can use it to stay focused and productive while working or studying. Watch your health meter and be selective about the websites you visit! Given below are features of the Otto Extension:
- Break or Work timer: Work and break sessions are created when set off. You can decide how long it should be, but a good starting point is 25 minutes for work and 5 minutes for rest. After the session, a chime will prompt you to take a break if you were paying attention while working. When your break is over, you will also hear a bell so that you can return to work.
- Autoblock Web Pages: Based on how much time you spend on a site, you can now automatically block it. Otto will automatically block the site after the allotted time is up. You can reset the autoblock by clicking unblock to allow you to visit the website once more.
- Data gathering: No browser information is transmitted to a third party. The information for the insights feature will be kept in your browser’s local storage.
Click here to add the Otto – Pomodoro Timer and Website Blocker extension to your Chrome browser.
4] StayFocusd – Block Distracting Websites
StayFocusd is a Google Chrome productivity plugin that limits the time you can spend on websites that are time wasters, thereby assisting you in maintaining your concentration on your task. Given below are some of the features of the StayFocusd extension:
- Distraction-free: When you need to concentrate, StayFocusd includes a distraction-free mode.
- Usage: It is easy to use and 100% free.
Click here to add the StayFocusd – Block Distracting Websites extension to your Chrome browser.
In conclusion, blocking websites is a valuable technique to monitor and manage the online content your kids, staff, or even you consume. Following these simple steps, you can block websites on the most popular browsers like Chrome, Edge, or Firefox. You can search which of these extensions is available on your browser and add it to your browser extension to use it quickly and effectively. You can stay safe and secure online by blocking unsafe or unsuitable websites.