After getting Nokia N72 phone , I was curious to put some themes to make it look better. Though the default theme is pretty good but I want some different theme and more customized one. My search resulted in finding this site OwnSkin which allows registered user to download or make their own themes. It’s an online theme creator which supports Nokia Symbian S60, S40 and Sony Ericsson and many other models. You can download the theme for the phone and install on your phone from Computer or using Internet on Phone.
Steps to make your own Nokia Theme :
- Go to OwnSkin , Select Nokia and SE Theme.
- Create a username for you. Signup and then login.
- Then select Create Theme which should be on top left and then Select Mobile Theme.
- In the next page scroll down to Nokia Section and Select your Model.
- OwnSkin Provides you to create themes in three different ways : Using EXP+PRO Theme Creator 2.0 (Beta), Professional Theme Creator, Express Theme Creator. If you want more customization select the Exp + Pro else create Express Theme creator.
EXP+PRO Theme Creator 2.0 (Beta)
- One this mode starts, click on the more button which is left bottom. Then Click on Pro Mode.
- This mode lets you customize each and every part of theme like Navigation Pane, Battery Strength, Change Clock etc.
This theme creator also allows you to edit the images online. When you select an image to upload, hit the edit button once you have uploaded the image. This will open a basic editor which will allow you to crop, resize, change angles, add effects and so on.
Once all customization is complete, click on done to get a preview. Preview for all possible screens, for N80 I have seen 18 Preview Screens. Once you are satisfied with the theme, click to generate it and give it a name. If you want you can share themes with other members of OwnSkin or keep it private if you have used any personal image. You will get a download option at the end to your PC or a WAP url for direct download to your phone.
Professional Theme Creator:
This theme creator is same as above except that you do not have an advance image editor support here. Simple Upload images for each sections and save to download.
Express Theme Creator
- Select The type of skin, which will be according to the type of Nokia Phone you have.
- Select an Image and crop to a particular size.
- Select an Image for the active background, which will show in the menu item.
- Go to advance settings to change the contrast of background, choose another image for the clock and battery.
- Enter the information about the skin and choose if you want to share it or keep it private.
- Download and Install the skin.
- If you are looking to create flash animated videos for nokia phones click here
Here are the images which I took to create my own theme.
Its 3 steps process where you can even use gif images to do so. I will try to make some more themes and use for myself. If you like try this. The created themes does not create any problem. I tried 3 times and it works well.
Prerequisite of the Nokia Theme Installation
Here are the prerequisite of the Nokia Theme Installation. You need the driver and the software which is given by the Nokia itself.
- Install the Nokia Driver that came along with the phone. from the CD.
- Download Nokia PC Suite and Install it.
- Connect your data cable and your phone should be detected by the Nokia PC Suite software else check the Connection Manager of Nokia PC Suite.
- Now Download the themes you like and Double click on them to install. When you double-click on the theme , it will open the Nokia PC Suite application Itself and ask you to install it.
So go to OwnSkin and try making some themes which suits your mood and your phone. If you also have a Sony Ericsson Phone, You can use this tool or try out this tutorial How to create Sony Ericsson Themes and you can also try sending free scheduledtext messages