Windows Firewall is the first defense for protecting your PC against Malware, Trojans, or Viruses. However, there are some legit reasons why one might want to disable it. Like sometimes, Windows defender blocks genuine apps or when you are using third-party antivirus software. What are the steps if you need to enable it at any point? This post will share details to disable or enable Microsoft Security Firewall in Windows.
Disable or Enable Microsoft Security Firewall in Windows
There are multiple ways to disable or enable Microsoft Security Firewall in Windows. These methods are:
- Via Windows Security
- Via Control Panel
- Via Command Prompt/PowerShell/Windows Terminal
You will need an administrator account to execute these suggestions.
1. Via Windows Security
Windows Security is the central hub to manage all the security tools that help you protect your PC and data. It can manage app and browser control, virus protection, and the Firewall.
- To access Windows security, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + I to launch Settings.
- From the sidebar, go to Privacy & security > Windows Security.
- Click on Firewall & network protection, and a Window will pop up.
- Now, click on Domain Network, Private network, and Public network one by one.
- Finally, toggle off Microsoft Defender Firewall.
It’s also a quick way to disable the firewall and Windows Defender temporarily.
2. Via Control Panel
You can also disable Microsoft Security Firewall through the control panel. However, this is a bit lengthy process, and it can be done by following these steps:
- Go to Windows Search.
- Type Control Panel and launch it.
- Go to System and Security > Windows Defender Firewall.
- From the sidebar, click on Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off.
- Click on Turn off Windows Defender Firewall (not recommended) for both the Private and Public network settings.
- Finally, click on OK.
3. Via Command Prompt/PowerShell/Windows Terminal
In strange cases, if you fail to disable the Windows firewall by following the other methods. Then you can turn it off through Command Prompt, Powershell, or Windows Terminal. No matter your terminal, the same commands will work.
- Open Windows Terminal with Admin permission
- To disable the Microsoft Security firewall, run the below command:
NetSh Advfirewall set allprofiles state off
To enable the Microsoft Security firewall, run the below command:
NetSh Advfirewall set allprofiles state on
To check the status of the Microsoft Security firewall:
Netsh Advfirewall show allprofiles
Disabling or enabling Microsoft Security Firewall is pretty straightforward. However, do know that by disabling Firewall, you are permitting all data packets to enter and exit the network without any restrictions, which can put your network at risk. So only disable it when you understand the risk entirely. Or when you use alternative security software.
Is It Safe To Disable Windows Defender?
It is generally not recommended to disable Windows Defender, as it is a security feature built into Windows. It helps protect your PC from malware and other malicious software. Disabling it could leave your computer vulnerable to infection. If you wish to use a different antivirus program, Windows defender will turn off itself.
Can Windows Defender Detect All Malware?
Windows Defender, or Microsoft Defender, is designed to detect and remove malware, including viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It can detect and remove a wide variety of malware, but it is imperfect and may not be able to detect or remove all types of malware. And this happens with every other security system as new malware is constantly being developed, and it can take time for antivirus programs to be updated to detect them.