Wireless Display in Windows allows PCs and Laptops to extend their display to another supported device. You can watch videos from tablets, smartphones, or other devices. This is made possible by the wireless display feature. Although installing this feature should not cause any issues, some customers have mentioned getting an Install failed error while trying to install the Wireless Display optional feature. This post can assist you if you are having trouble installing the wireless display feature and getting an Install failed error in Windows 11/10.
How to Fix Wireless Display Install Failed Error Windows
Given below are four fixes to solve the error:
- Turn Off Metered Connection or Connect to Different Internet
- Install Wireless Display Capability Using DISM
- ByPass WSUS Policy
- PowerShell Script
You will need admin permission to execute these suggestions.
1] Turn Off Metered Connection or Connect to Different Internet
The metered connection option can save a lot of data, but you should disable it as it may interfere with installing certain Windows features. A lot of users have reported that metered connection is behind this issue. Here is how you disable metered connection via Windows Settings:
- Press the Windows key + I to open Settings and choose the Network & Internet option from the left pane.
- Click on the Properties tab located at the top of the screen.
- Toggle off the button next to the Metered connection to disable it.
- Tyr to install Wireless Display one more time.
2] Install Wireless Display Capability Using DISM
The following method you can use is to install Wireless Display using the DISM command. Here is how to go about it:
- Open Windows Terminal with Admin permission.
- In the window that opens, copy and paste the following command into the Windows Terminal window and press the Enter key.
DISM /Online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:App.WirelessDisplay.Connect~~~~0.0.1.0
The download and installation process for Wireless Display will begin now. You should receive a success message if the installation is successful.
3] Bypass WSUS Policy
WSUS Policy defines how computers and users can interact with Windows Update to obtain automatic updates from Windows Server Update Services. At times, it is known to hinder the installation of the Wireless Display feature. You can make Registry changes to bypass WSUS Policy in the following method.
This is how you go about it:
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run command box. Type regedit into the box and press OK to open the Registry Editor.
- In the Registry Editor window, copy and paste the below-mentioned path below into the search bar and press Enter.
- On the right side of the window, search and click on UseWUServer. Double-click on it, type 0 into the Value data column, and press OK.
After saving the value, install Wireless Display and check.
4] PowerShell Script
If you find editing the registry and restarting services is a bit too much, you can run a simple script that can set the registry, add the WirelessDisplay capability, and related things required to fix the problem.
Set-ItemProperty "REGISTRY::HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" UseWUserver -value 0 Get-Service wuauserv | Restart-Service DISM /Online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:App.WirelessDisplay.Connect~~~~0.0.1.0 Set-ItemProperty "REGISTRY::HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" UseWUserver -value 1 Get-Service wuauserv | Restart-Service
Copy the above code in notepad, and save it as a PS1 file, i.e., it should have a name ending with “.ps1”; so the PowerShell console can recognize that it’s a script that can run on it.
Once done, open PowerShell with admin permission, go to the script’s location, type the full name and press the Enter key to run the script.
So, as mentioned in this article, these are the best solutions you can apply if the Wireless Display installation does not go as planned. Whether you are using Windows 10 or 11 or any other version of Windows, these solutions can be applied to solve the issue. These methods are not complex, so you need to be an expert to get them done.