Many like to use Outlook.com as their primary email id. If thats you, but you have a lot of conversation in Gmail account, then in this post, we will share how to import all the Gmail messages into Outlook.com account.
How to Import Gmail Messages in to Outlook.com Account
You can export all the email from Gmail into Outlook.com using the POP feature in Gmail. It is possible that this feature might not be enabled by default and you will need to allow it to. Below are the steps you need to follow :
- Enable POP in Gmail
- Add/ Import Email Account into Outlook
- Decide what to do next with Gmail Account
After setting this up, you can still login to your Gmail account, and access the emails.
1] Enabling POP in Gmail
Since we need to export the Gmail Messages out, POP forms our gateway which can not only be used for Outlook for any email server or even clients like Office Outlook.
- Login to Gmail account, and go to Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP or click this link.
- Click on the radio button which says Enable POP for all mail to enable it.
- Make sure to keep a copy in the Gmail Inbox in case you need to look at it again. You may choose marked as read or archive if you wish.
2] Import Gmail Emails into Outlook.com
Now since our setup is ready to export out, lets setup Outlook so it can communicate with Gmail and download all the emails using POP Settings.
- Login to the Outlook Account and go to Mail Settings Click on the gear icon on the top right.
- Select Mail > Sync email. This page lists all the external email accounts.
- Click on Gmail option that is readily available, and it will open settings to connect to Google account or Gmail account.
- Display Name
- Import your Email from Gmail
- Send email from Outlook using Gmail Account (It is added as sent the only option)
- Choose where to import all the emails
- Into a new folder which will mimic all the Gmail folders. If you have set up folders in Gmail, then you get the same structure here.
- Import into existing, standard folders and label them according to the folder name.
- Click ok, and sign-in to your Google account.
Done this, you will start receiving all emails from Gmail into Outlook and will be able to reply to those email as if you were replying from your Gmail Account.
What should you do after this?
- Do not Delete Gmail Account: It doesn’t hurt of you have the account kept idle. At times you may have to login to the account and make some deep searches for emails you are missing on Outlook.
- Do Not Delete Emails: Again the same point but very specific, keep it as is. It is better to archive or mark it as read or move into some folder. If you delete from Outlook, you can still recover it.
- Make sure to enable Gmail Two-Step Verification: Enable it without thinking anything. As of now, it is the most secure way to keep your account safe.
We hope the tutorial was easy to follow, and you were able to import all the emails into Outlook from Gmail.