One of the most appealing aspects of using an iPhone or an iPad is the diverse selection of applications in the app store. However, in some cases, you can face issues while downloading new apps. Various reasons may lead to this particular problem. For instance, it can be due to software bugs or even improper device settings. This post will discuss the various ways you can resolve the iPhone or iPad Won’t Download Apps problem. You can also follow these if the app is stuck.
How to Fix if iPhone or iPad Won’t Download Apps?
You can adopt multiple solutions to restart stuck downloading apps on your iPad or iPhone. These are as follows:
- Switch to Wi-Fi Network
- Check Free Space in your Device
- Restart App Store App
- Pause and Restart App Download
- Restart your iPad or iPhone
- Check Apple ID Payment Method
- Disable Restrictions (If Any) on Downloading Apps
- Update iOS
- Sign Out Apple ID and Sign-in Again
- Set Date and Time
- Allow App Store Purchases
- Reset Device Settings
- Reset to Factory Settings (Last Resort)
Let’s find the best solution to fix iPhone or iPad won’t download apps problem:
1] Switch to Wi-Fi Network
Sometimes, iOS users might face issues if they try downloading the app through a mobile 5G or 4G LTE connection. That is because Apple has restrictions on the downloading of apps over cellular networks based on size. You cannot download the app if it is more than 200 MB. It is to help people save data over a single download.
However, many iPhone and iPad users are not aware of this limitation. Being unaware, they try to proceed with downloading apps with cellular networks. In this case, the best solution is to switch over to Wi-Fi. Now, you can try the download once again.
2] Check Free Space in your Device
In some cases, lack of proper space can lead to issues with the app being unable to be downloaded. If you don’t have sufficient space, there is no way you can download the app you want. You need to check the space you have, and if it’s not enough, get rid of them.
Try removing duplicate images, unwanted music, videos, etc. That way, you can make space for the app you want.
If you want to take a look at the free space available on the device, adopt these steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Then, press General.
- After that, select iPhone storage.
- Here, you can see the free space you have left on the bar.
3] Restart App Store App
Though your device is often the culprit for not being able to download apps, that is not the case every time. Sometimes, the issue can be with the app in the App Store. Bugs present in the app or the store might interfere with its downloading.
In that case, you can try quitting the app from the App Store. Now, once again, go to the App Store and try downloading the app you want. That may get rid of the bugs or glitches you have experienced previously.
4] Pause and Restart App Download
Are you facing issues with the app midst downloading? In that case, you might be wondering why the app download keeps stalling. The best solution is to pause and then restart the app download.
Do you see the app icon on your device’s screen, yet the downloading is paused? If that is the case, you must tap on that app icon. It will pause the downloading process. Wait for some time, and then tap it once more. Now, the downloading will start again.
5] Restart your iPad or iPhone
Another excellent solution to the problem of apps not being downloaded on iPhone or iPad is to restart it. Sometimes, this simple solution can have the desired effect and resolve the issue quickly. You can fix the temporary glitches within the software of the app or the operating system by restarting your device.
To restart your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Press any of the volume buttons and the side button and hold them.
- You need to hold these buttons till you see the power-off slider.
- Drag this slider and wait for a few seconds.
- It will turn off the iPhone.
- Now, press the side button to turn on the device.
- Keep holding the buttons till you come across the Apple logo.
Note: This restart process is for iPhone X, 11, 12, 13, and the later versions.
6] Check the Apple ID Payment Method
Apple has an interesting policy when it comes to downloading apps. You must connect your Apple ID with a payment method, even if it is a free application. It ensures that you can make payments smoothly if you want to opt for in-app purchases.
To add, change or remove the payment on your iPhone, you need to follow these steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Click on the Profile Name.
- Go to the iTunes & Apps Store.
- Press the Apple ID.
- Select View Apple ID.
- Go to Manage Payments.
After that, you can make changes to the payment methods accordingly.
7] Disable Restriction (If Any) on Downloading Apps
Are you still wondering why you are not being able to download apps? You might forget, but maybe you have turned on the iOS restriction. In that case, you must turn it off. That is the only way you can install apps.
Take a look at these steps you need to follow –
- Go to Settings.
- Now, press Screen Time.
- Turn on Content & Privacy Restrictions and open iTunes and App Store Purchases menu.
- Here, you need to enable the Allow Installing Apps option to allow downloading apps.
Now, try downloading the apps and see if you can install them.
8] Update iOS
Not having the latest iOS can also lead to issues. It can affect the downloading of apps from the App Store. In some cases, bugs can prevent the downloading of the apps. That is why you must go for the update as soon as you get notified.
Here is how you can update the existing iOS. Take a look –
- Firstly, you need to turn on the Wi-Fi on the device.
- Now, go to Settings.
- Tap on General.
- After that, press Software Update.
- If an update is available, you will see numbers in red coloration. Click on Download and Install.
9] Sign Out of the Apple ID and Sign-in Again
If any of the above solutions have no results, you can try signing out of the App Store and re-sign.
Are you wondering how to proceed? Well, you can check out these steps –
- Press Settings app. Tap on the Profile Name on top of the Settings page.
- Scroll download and tap on the Sign Out option at the end. It will help you to sign out from the Apple ID.
- Follow the same steps, and you will find Sign In option. Click on it to proceed further by entering the Apple ID and password to sign in.
10] Set Date and Time on Automatic Mode
It may seem absurd, but the wrong date and time can affect app downloading. That is why you need to check your device’s date and time settings. Make sure that they are set correctly.
For this, you need to take a look at these steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Press General.
- Tap on Date & Time.
- After that, you need to turn on Set Automatically.
Now, the time and date will be set automatically on your iPhone.
11] Allow App Store Purchases
In some cases, disabling app purchases can cause problems in downloading apps on your iPhone. In that case, you need to check out your device’s Content & Privacy Restrictions section. Here, you can see whether the app store purchases are disabled. If that is the case, you will be unable to download the apps.
Check out these steps:
- Tap the Settings app on your device.
- Go to Screen Time.
- Click on Content & Privacy Restrictions. Enter the passcode.
- Now, go to iTunes & App Store Purchases.
- Change the settings to Allow in front of In-App Purchases.
12. Reset Device Settings
Another solution you can employ to resolve the app downloading problem is to reset the device. Sometimes, the iOS settings of the device can be responsible for this issue. You need to fix this by resetting the device settings.
All you have to do is follow simple steps to accomplish this task. Take a look –
- Click on the Settings app.
- Go to General.
- Tap on Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- After that, press the Reset option.
- Now, tap on Reset All Settings.
13] Reset to Factory Settings (Last Resort)
If nothing else works, you can opt for this last option. Reset the Factory settings of the device to fix this issue. However, it would be best if you kept in mind that opting for this method will lead to data loss. You need to back up the data in iTunes or iCloud. You can also opt for professional data recovery software if you still experience data loss.
Take a look at these steps you need to follow:
- Tap on the Settings app.
- Click General.
- Go to Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Here, it would be best to tap on the Erase All Content and Settings option. Then follow the procedure as mentioned in the steps.
Note: Be cautious while opting for this method.
These are the different ways you can resolve the iPhone or iPad not being able to download apps. Hopefully, one of these methods will fix your issue. If the problem persists, you must get in touch with Apple support. You can visit an Apple Store or use online means for assistance.