I have taken a plan of 299 with my Blackberry 8520 which allows me only to check mails and be on few messenger i.e. I cannot surf internet on it. However since Blackberry 8520 comes along with WiFi I was able to configure it with my WRT54 GT Linksys Router for browsing internet and use applications like Facebook and twitter.
Before we start I would like to point that Blackberry WiFi doesn’t have support for WPA Security mode ( Personal or Business ) and If you router is configured in that mode like mine you need to use the Push Button to connect to it.
Steps to Configure WiFi :
- Click on the Blackberry Menu.
- Click Setup folder
- Select Setup Wi-Fi icon.
- You will be greeted by a welcome message which you can set to ignore for future.
- Next you will get 4 options here : Scan for Network, Manually Add Network, Push Button Setup and WiFi Hotspot Login.
- You can use any of these methods to connect to network which is just one or two more extra where you give security key or phrases extra but there is an extra ordinary push button setup which makes configuring the wi-fi very easily
- In case the phone doesn’t detect the WiFi via scanning, you can add it manually using the security mode and key with the SSID of the network known to you.
- Just select Push Button setup from here and then click on the Push Button which should be available on your router. Both the devices talk to each other and as you manually do it, security is not an issue here.
Thats it. Now if you have a shared wi-fi internet connection setup along with the router you should be online in few minutes. I found the push button technique pretty easy which did not work when I tried connecting to my laptop though. How about you ?