Apps like Discord launches right away as you boot up your PC. While this can be helpful to many, if you are not a frequent discord user, then the Discord startup launch might be annoying for you. Also, when apps like Discord launches at the startup, it takes up unnecessary system resources. Hence, disabling it would be a good idea. So the question is, how to stop Discord from launching at startup in Windows? Well, let us talk about it in this post.
How To Stop Discord From Launching at Startup in Windows?
There are two ways to stop Discord launch at the startup. Discord itself offers you an option for it. Alternatively, you can use Windows Task Manager for the same.
- Disable Startup Setting From Discord Settings
- Disable Discord Startup From Task Manager
- Stop Discord From Searching for Updates at the Startup
Now let’s look at these methods one by one.
1] Disable From Discord Settings
Discord offers you a setting to change the startup behavior of the app. Apart from stopping the app from launching at startup, you can control how you want Discord to launch and other settings.
- First, launch Discord on your PC.
- Go to Discord settings by clicking the gear icon next to your username.
- From the sidebar, go to Windows Settings, located under APP SETTINGS.
- Now toggle off Open Discord to disable Discord launch at startup.
- Moreover, you can also launch Discord in the background by enabling Start Minimized option.
- Also, if you want to close Discord entirely after hitting the X button, disable Minimize to Tray option.
2] Disable Discord Startup From Task Manager
Using Task Manager, you cannot only disable Discord launch at the startup. But you can also use it for apps like Spotify that launch after booting up your PC. For this, follow the below steps:
- Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC simultaneously to launch Task Manager.
- Click on More Details to expand Task Manager if it’s not expanded already.
- Go to the Startup tab.
- Look for Discord and right-click on it.
- Finally, click on Disable button to stop launching it at the startup.
Similarly, you can use the same steps to disable any other apps you want to stop launching at the startup.
3] Stop Discord From Searching for Updates at the Startup
Whenever you launch Discord, it first checks for updates, and if found, Discord proceeds to install the updates and then lets you use the app. This is a beneficial feature as it lets you stay updated with Discord updates. But some might want to disable the feature to save on system resources. To do so, follow the below steps:
- First, launch Task Manager by pressing CTRL + SHIFT + ESC simultaneously.
- Go to the Startup tab.
- Look for an app named Update with the Discord logo.
- Finally, right-click on it and select Disable.
So those were three quick methods to stop Discord from launching at Startup in Windows. We suggest you change the settings from the Discord app itself. It will be easier for you to enable/disable discord launch at startup as per your requirements.
How Do I Completely Stop Discord?
While ALT + F4 works, if configured, it may stay minimized on the system tray, running in the background. You can also kill it from the Task manager and any Discord services running in the background. Once done, you can permanently disable it to launch with the startup.
How Do You Know if Someone Disabled Their Discord?
If someone has disabled their Discord account, their profile and messages will disappear. If you try to send them a message, you will receive an error message saying the user cannot be found. Also, their names will no longer appear on your friend or server list. It’s essential to note that disabling an account is a permanent action and cannot be undone.