Do you have a license for a Windows 10 PC and want to install it on another Windows 11/10 computer? In this guide, I will tell you how to transfer a Windows 11/10 license to another PC.
Transferring a license is not only cost-effective, but it can also be helpful when you sell the computer and retain the product key or wish to use it to activate a virtual machine.
Check Whether Your Windows 11/10 License Is Transferable
You need to check whether your Windows 11/10 license key is transferable or not to identify the type of product license key on your machine. Microsoft sells the license of Windows 10 to regular users through the Retail or OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) channel. However, there are a few things you need to keep in mind:
- Your Windows 11/10 should be a retail copy as the retail license belongs to the person.
- If your Windows 11/10 operating system has come with a pre-installed OEM OS, you cannot transfer the license to another Windows 11/10 computer. The OEM license is attached to the hardware.
If you have purchased a retail copy of the Windows 11/10 operating system, you can transfer the product key to another computer.
How to Transfer Windows 11/10 License to Another PC
If you want to transfer your Windows 10 license to another Windows 10 machine, you can do so by following these methods:
- Use Transfer Interface to get a license from an old PC
- Uninstall and Reinstall Windows 11/10 Product Key (Old to New)
- How to Install license using Microsoft support
Let’s consider them one by one.
1] Use Transfer Interface to Get a License from an Old PC
If you do not have access to the old PC, nor do you have the key anywhere, the Microsoft Windows Activation service offers a transfer interface where you can select the PC from which you want to transfer the license. The only condition is that all those PCs are connected to the same Microsoft account, and the current version of Windows is the same as what was on the older computer.
The option appears when you click on Activate Windows link or by going to
- Windows 10 Settings > Update & Security > Activation
- Windows 11 Settings > System > Activation State
Both will ask you to sign in using a Microsoft account, and then show a list of computers connected to your account and suggest; license from which PC can be transferred. If you cannot see your PC in the list, click on the See other devices linked to your Microsoft account option link.
2] Uninstall and Reinstall Windows 10 Product Key
The first step is to uninstall the current license from the existing computer. In the second step, install it on the new one.
Uninstall Windows 11/10 License Key from OLD PC
- Press Windows key + X > Click Command Prompt (Admin).
- At the command prompt, enter the following command to uninstall the Windows Product Key.
- A Windows Script Host window appears with the message Uninstalled product key successfully.
When you run this command, you uninstall the product key, which allows you to use the license elsewhere.
Reinstall Windows 10 License Key on New PC
This option is a tried-and-true solution. You have a Windows 10 license product key purchased online. Once you reach the desktop, you will need to enter the product key again. You can do this by following this method:
- Open Start menu > Click on Command Prompt (Admin).
- At the command prompt, enter the following command to reuse the Windows 10 product key from another computer > press Enter.
slmgr.vbs /ipk <16 digit product key>
- Here, you’ll have to replace <16 digit product key> with the actual product key.
- Type slmgr /dlv to verify if the activation was successful > press Enter.
- A Windows Script Host window will appear.
- Check under the License Status section, and make sure the status reads Licensed to verify that Windows 10 is fully activated.
3] How to Install license using Microsoft support
If you do not see a license key listed, you need to contact Microsoft support to activate it. Here’s how to do so:
- Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Change the product key.
- On Windows 11, Go to Settings > System > Activation State. Click on the Change button next to the Change Product key section.
- Enter your Windows 11/10 product key > click Next to activate.
- Call Microsoft support using any of the toll-free numbers mentioned in the activation window and provide them with the Installation ID.
- Click the Enter confirmation ID button.
- Type the confirmation ID provided by Microsoft support.
- Click on the Activate Windows button.
You should now be able to activate Windows 10 after completing the steps. You can use the product key to activate the same edition of Windows 10 on another computer by following these methods. I hope this post will help you Transfer Windows 10 license to another computer.