Are you discovering how to find the hidden desktop icons on your computer? This guide will tell you how to unhide the desktop icons in Windows.
Icons on your Desktop can be handy. They give you quick access to your computer, network, or Recycle Bin. However, Windows 11 and Windows 10 come without desktop icons by default. The user must add them through the system settings.
Why are Icons Hidden on Desktop in Windows?
By default, icons are hidden to avoid the taskbar becoming cluttered with many icons as you use your computer. However, some icons convey essential information with their appearance, such as icons that would change color depending on the app’s status.
Moreover, some icons require frequent interaction with the user as well. It would be more convenient if the icons were permanently displayed on the taskbar rather than hidden in the overflow menu. Therefore, Windows allows users to show or hide any icon they want on the taskbar corner.
How To Unhide Desktop Icons on Windows 11/10?
Windows 11/10 comes with a highly intuitive interface for showing desktop icons. You can do this through personalized settings. To show an icon that is hidden by default on the taskbar corner in Windows 11, follow the steps below:
- Go to Windows Start Menu > Settings > Personalization.
- Go to Themes > Desktop icon settings.
- Now select the icons that you would like to show on your Desktop.
- Finally, click on Apply > OK to save the changes.
Another way to do this through taskbar settings:
- Alternatively, right-click anywhere on the taskbar and select Taskbar settings.
- Scroll down and find Notification Area > Click on Select which icons appear on the taskbar.
- Put the toggle On for the icons you want to show on your Desktop.
How to Add Icons to the Desktop in Windows?
In addition to adding desktop icons, you can add other desktop icons as well. You can do this through the start menu, and here are the steps you have to follow:
- Go to Windows Start Menu > All apps.
- Search for the app you wish to add to your Desktop or browse through the list.
- Right-click on the app and select More > Open file location, and a new File Explorer window will pop up.
- Right-click on the app and select show more options > Send to Desktop (create shortcut).
That’s it. You have successfully added a shortcut to the app onto your Desktop.
What is the Best Way to Get Different Icons on my Desktop?
You need to follow these simple steps to get the different icons on your Desktop:
- Press Windows + I key on your keyboard to open Windows Settings
- Select Personalization > Themes > Click on Desktop icon settings.
It will open another window to change icons of This PC, User Folder, Network, Recycle Bin using the Change Icon button. The box next to the one that allows changing theme desktop icons can be unchecked if you do not want themes to change your desktop icons.
Is There a Way to Place Icons Anywhere on my Desktop Windows?
Following are the steps which tell you the way to place icons anywhere on your Desktop:
- Right-click on the Desktop> Then click on View.
- Make sure to uncheck the Auto Arrange icons option.
- Alternatively, you can also uncheck the Align icons to the grid option.
If you do not do this, it will be arranged with the rest of the icons on your Desktop every time you move the icon.
How do you Remove Text from Shortcut Icons?
Shortcut icons usually don’t need text, as the icons themselves are enough to determine which app it refers to. Changing them is a simple process.
- First, select the shortcut icon > Then press F2.
- Press the Delete key to remove the text > Then press Enter.
You will now only see the icons.
How to Show My Computer on the Desktop in Windows?
To add the My Computer or This PC icon on Windows, you need to follow the steps given below:
- Press Windows + I key on your keyboard to open Windows Settings.
- Select Personalization > Themes > Click on Related settings > Select Desktop icon settings.
- Now, select My Computer > Click on Apply > OK to save the changes.
Why Did my Desktop Disappear from Windows?
There are two built-in modes in Windows – Desktop, and Tablet. However, your desktop icons will disappear when you switch to Tablet mode. Try switching back to the desktop mode and see if you can’t spot Windows desktop icons.
I hope this post will help you know how to unhide desktop icons in Windows 11/10