The USB drivers are asking for an update? Drivers are small programs that allow interaction between your computer and other components. In this guide, I will let you know how to update USB drivers in Windows 10.
What Are USB Driver Issues?
The aim of the Universal Serial Bus (USB) standards was to create a method of common networking for computer devices, including the protocol for exchanging data and instructions between computers and peripheral devices. Sometimes it may not work properly.
If you upgrade your operating system or buy a new USB device like a printer or mouse or external drive, you may encounter several types of problems such as:
- Your device is not recognized by the computer when plugged into the USB port.
- Although the device manager recognizes the device, a yellow warning icon indicates that you cannot use the device in the current state.
- Windows has automatically installed a driver, but the device doesn’t seem to be working.
- Outdated drivers can cause conflicts with other devices
- Infecting or damaging drivers can cause your system to crash unexpectedly
You can solve these issues by updating the USB driver.
How to Update USB Drivers on Windows 10?
The USB driver needs to be updated after some time. Here are some of the methods that will help you update your USB driver.
- Using Windows update
- Using Device Manager
- Update your USB driver manually
You will need an administrator account to follow these suggestions.
1] Windows Update
Windows also update drivers using the Windows update functionality. It looks for drivers to upgrade on both scheduled and user-initiated Windows updates.
Follow these steps to update your USB driver using Windows Update:
- Open Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update
- Right under it, look for a clickable link—View optional updates.
- Under Driver Updates, a list of updates will be available, which you can choose to install if you are facing an issue manually.
- From there, you can choose to update your USB drivers to the latest stable version.
This feature is useful as you can see all the driver updates available for your system here in one place. If you have a specific problem because of an outdated driver; then, you can choose to install it.
2] Device Manager
Microsoft knows that the driver issues are a menace. Therefore, it provides a tool known as Device Manager in Windows systems to resolve the driver problems. You can use it to update USB drivers on Windows 10.
In Device Manager, when a user selects Update driver. Depending on the version of Windows, it can be Automatic/Manual or Windows Update Method.
Automatic/Manual Update: When it fails to find a driver, Device Manager shows a button labeled Search for updated drivers on Windows Update, which opens the Settings app to the Windows Update page. To find this button, right-click a device and select Properties. On the Driver tab, select Update Driver and then Search automatically for drivers.
Windows Update: In this case, you will get another option when you ask Windows to find an update. Click on the link— Search for updated drivers on Windows Update— and then select View optional updates > Driver updates to install the drivers manually.
3] Update your USB driver Manually
If you want to update your drivers manually, there are a few ways.
- Right-click the Start menu > select Device Manager.
- Select the USB device where you want to update the driver from the USB devices list.
- Right-click it, then select the Update Driver.
- Please select the option Browse my computer for the driver software for the new driver
- A browser window will open, allowing you to select the file from the folder where you saved the downloaded driver.
- After you’ve selected the new driver, click Next to begin the update.
The driver will be updated with your downloaded file.
Update USB Drivers is easy but can be tricky at times. I hope this post will help you update USB drivers on Windows 10. Windows Update can download the updates rather easily, but at times can result in issues.