Streaming services have changed the way we watch TV and movies. You can instantly access a vast content library from services like Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and more with an internet connection. But what happens when you travel outside your home country and try to log into your favorite streaming platform? Suddenly, that library is not so accessible.
Geography restrictions can be a headache for frequent travelers. Nothing ruins hotel room downtime like realizing you left your account access back home. But with the right tools, watching streaming platforms abroad is easy. This guide will cover how to bypass geography blocks so your entertainment follows wherever you roam.
Why Streaming Platforms Block Abroad Access
Before getting into the workarounds, it helps to understand why streaming platforms geo-restrict certain content in the first place. There are a few key reasons:
- Licensing agreements. Most platforms secure country-specific licenses from studios and networks to stream titles. The content available in the US catalog is different from the UK, Canada, etc. Geo-blocking prevents someone from circumventing these licensing limits.
- Release windows. New movies will often debut on services in one country first before reaching other regions. Geo-restrictions prevent spoiled viewers from jumping the release schedule.
- Censorship laws. Some platforms conform to censorship laws that ban certain content in specific countries. Circumventing geo-blocks provides access to prohibited material.
The upside for travelers is that most streaming platforms want you to stay subscribed when abroad. They have to play by the rules of copyright licenses and regional laws. But as you’ll see, avoiding these roadblocks with the right approach is easy.
Use a VPN to Watch Streaming Platforms Anywhere
A VPN (virtual private network) is the easiest way to bypass geography blocks on streaming platforms no matter where you travel. Here’s a quick rundown of how they work:
- VPN services run remote servers you connect to worldwide via an encrypted tunnel. This hides your IP address and location.
- To streaming platforms, it will appear as if you are accessing the internet from your selected VPN server location instead of your actual location.
- Choose a VPN server in your home country; streaming platforms will lift the geo-blocks as if you never left!
Setting up a VPN connection on any device like your phone, laptop, or smart TV only takes a few minutes. Top services like ExpressVPN, NordVPN, and Surfshark offer user-friendly apps that make quick work of spoofing your location.
Some key benefits of using a VPN for streaming abroad:
- Works with all major platforms like Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, etc. There is no need to find specialized tools for each one.
- Encrypts your web traffic for privacy on public Wi-Fi networks.
- Easy to use on all devices. Set the VPN in your device settings to go across apps.
- Allows access to home sports and news abroad. Catch your favorite teams live from anywhere.
- Many offer fast server speeds for smooth HD streaming. Look for services optimized for streaming.
The only catch is you must select a VPN that isn’t blocked by your desired streaming platform already. Some crack down on known VPN IP addresses. But leading options stay ahead of the game to avoid detection.
Configure “Smart DNS” on Devices
While not as secure as VPNs, Smart DNS services provide another easy way to watch streaming content worldwide. Here’s an overview:
- A Smart DNS changes the DNS server settings on your device to route traffic through their service first.
- When you attempt to access geo-restricted platforms, it will manipulate your device’s location to bypass geographic blocks.
- Your connection is not encrypted like a VPN, but you still appear to be streaming from an allowed region.
The advantage of Smart DNS over VPN is that it usually provides faster streaming connection speeds. There is no VPN overhead encrypting and rerouting all your traffic. It simply alters DNS data related to streaming only.
On the downside, Smart DNS does not hide your IP address or activity like a VPN’s encryption. It also requires manual device-by-device setup, which is more tedious than VPN apps. But regarding pure streaming accessibility, Smart DNS gets the job done with less impact on speed.
Choose Region-Specific Streaming Services
One last option is to research streaming services that align with your travel destinations and offer country-specific libraries.
For example, before a trip overseas:
- Check which major platforms like Hulu or Hayu are available in your destination country. Consider grabbing a local subscription to blend in better with native content.
- See if any country-exclusive streaming options like the UK’s BritBox or Canada’s CBC Gem are worthwhile for sampling local programming.
- Consider a sports streaming package like DAZN Canada when traveling to catch local games. Unless your home team is playing, you can see new sports abroad!
The limitation is that relying purely on local streaming options prevents you from watching any favorites back home. You’d have to bounce between accounts, which is a hassle. However, mixing country-specific services into your viewing habits abroad can expand your entertainment horizons. Why not watch some authentic foreign films and shows?
Get Streaming Abroad Today!
As you can see, technology makes it easy to take your streaming library wherever you roam. So don’t let geography blocks leave you bored in your hotel or stranded without your stories. With you can watch Amazon Prime from anywhere using the simple tips in this guide, streaming entertainment is always at your fingertips.
- VPNs provide the quickest, most universal solution for geo-blocked platforms.
- Smart DNS can bypass country locks without VPN drawbacks but requires device setup.
- Researching country-exclusive streaming options legally used abroad helps immerse in local culture.
- Check your streaming accounts – many already accept foreign logins for temporary travel use!
Streaming makes it easy to feel at home wherever you go. With the proper prep, you’ll stay entertained and avoid the dreaded “content not available in your location” warnings. So embrace streaming to turn any hotel, apartment, or shared accommodation into your multimedia center!