Crosswords is the most famous games which is played around the world and you can make one for yourself at home using your meanings and phrases skills but that needs lot of time and is tough arranging all the cross in the crossword.
Crossword creator is a free application which takes input of words from a text file and then creates crossword based on the configuration which you choose.Learning creating the word file is little tough but its a one time job.
You can also create crossword in printable format by choosing create paper crossword which in turn will generate BMP files one of which will be containing hints, one will be blank and last one with all words filled. This is an excellent tool for creating crossword and play it at home.
You can try few dictionary sites like Lingoes Dictionary and Native Words to make your crossword even more funny and interesting than traditional English crosswords.
Follow the instruction below which is also available in the help.
To Create a Computer Crossword:
- First, we will put a fixed number of words (in this case 40) into a grid with a minimum size. Under “Create Puzzle,” select “Load Text File.” Open the “Spanish Lists” folder. Open the “Spanish Commands (Format 4)” text file. Select the “FORMAT 4” radio button. Click on “OK.” You should see the total words listed as 40.
- Under “Crossword Type,” select the “Fixed Number of Words, Minimum Crossword Size” radio button.
- Click on “Place Words.” The program will increase the crossword size until all the words fit into the puzzle. The “Loops” variable (usually set at 50) controls the number of times the program attempts to put all of the words into the grid before increasing the grid size.
- Now, we will fill the crossword with other words. Under “Crossword Type,” select the “Max Number of Words, Fixed Crossword Size” radio button. Under “Create Puzzle,” select “Load Text File.” Open the “Spanish Lists” folder. Open the “Espanol – English (Format 1 2 3)” text file. Select the “FORMAT 1” radio button. Click on “OK.”
- Click on “Place Words.” The program will put all the words it can into the given grid.
- Under “Create Puzzle,” select “Save Crossword.” Type a name for the crossword and click “OK.” A folder with the name of the crossword will be created. The actual crossword file will be in this folder.
- You can have the program create text and bitmap files for a paper crossword. Under “Create Puzzle,” select “Paper Crossword.” Open the folder named in step 6 and open the file with the ending of “CW.”
- You can have the program create text files of quizzes using words from the crossword. Under “Create Puzzle,” select “Paper Quizzes.” Open the folder named in step 6 and open the file with the ending of “CW.”
To Work a Crossword Puzzle:
- Under “Work Puzzle,” select “Load Puzzle-New Puzzle.” Open the folder with the name of the puzzle that you want to solve. Open the file with the ending of “CW.”
- Look at the clue in the yellow box. Type the word indicated by the clue into the crossword. The current word is yellow, except for the current letter, which is green.
- You can move to the next clue/word by pressing “Enter” or by using the arrow keys. You can use the mouse to click into any space on the crossword.
- Click on “Redraw” if you ever need to redraw the crossword.
- After you have completed as much of the puzzle as you can, under “Work Puzzle,” you can select “Show Errors.” This will make incorrect letters pink. Under “Work Puzzle,” you can then select “Hide Errors” to remove the pink squares.
- Under “Work Puzzle,” you can select “Reset Puzzle” to place some of the letters in the puzzle.
- If you complete the whole puzzle correctly, the purple background will turn green.