While taking manual backup of my home computer today using WHS dashboard > Computers and Backups, there are an error reported which said backup failed for network disruption. In Windows Home Server the failed backup arent removed immediately so it stays and keeps space occupied until a server cleanup task runs which is set to happen manually.
However it is possible that you need space immediately and you have a couple of failed backups occupying lot of space. In this case follow the steps below :
- Go to Task Scheduler in Windows Home Server.
- Select Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Home Server
- There is a task named as Cleanup. Run it and you will have all your space back.
What if you want to keep the backup ?
- Double click on the computer for which you want to keep the failed backup.
- Select Backups Tab > Double click which backup you want to keep
- Select “Keep this backup”, instead of Delete this backup when cleanup runs.