In Windows Vista or Windows 7 it is often seen that Mapped Drive gets disconnected when a data transfer like copy or move action is in progress. The problem occurs because of Windows Vista’s Auto tuning network feature So if you are more into copying large files from one computer to another it is recommend to turn this feature off.
To turn Auto Tuning network off:
- Run the command prompt in administrative mode
- pressing ctrl + shift + enter or right click and run as administrator OR right click on command prompt and selecting run as administrator
- To turn auto tuning off type “netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel = disabled” and if this doesn’t work try netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=high
- To turn it on again : “netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel = normal”
Once you get an Ok message, reboot your computer for settings to take place. To make sure Auto Tuning setting was changed, run the command netsh interface tcp show global, this will display all the major config of TCP and you will see Recieve Windows Auto Tuning Level as disabled if you set it so.
Read more about this here. This feature will not work on Windows XP machine as it is not available there.
What Other things are fixed using this command ?
- Performance Issue using Remote Desktop Connection.
- Windows Live Messenger Login Issues.
- Improvement in Network Performance.