Windows 10 comes with an out of the box feature which allows you to set time limit or block a Windows user for some part of the day. It is handy If you would not like your kid to log in unless he finishes his homework or wants to fix just two hours of the day for him to use the computer. It works for any account except administrator accounts. In this post, I will show how you can Set time limits for users in Windows 10. It works on Windows 7 and Windows 8 as well.
How to set time limits for users in Windows 10 without Parental Control
While Windows offers Family Safety or Parental Control Feature, using this tip, you will able to set time limits for any average user. It doesn’t need to be a Microsoft account.
- Press Windows+X to open the Power User Menu and select PowerShell(Admin)
- Type net user and press the Enter key. Note the exact username of the account for which you want to set the limits.
- The time limit can be set in terms of days and duration. So make sure you to note it in one place correctly.
- Type the following command and press enter.
net user <username> /times:<days,times>
- Days: You will need to use a short format for days, which should be M, T, W, Th, F, Sa, or Su.
- Times: It will be in a 24-hours format.
So, if you want the kid to use the computer only between 7 PM to 9 PM on Wednesday, you need to enter /times:W,19:00-21:00. The final command will look like:
net user anant /times:W,19:00-21:00
To add multiple time limits, you can add a semicolon, followed by the same format, e.g.:
net user anant /times:W,19:00-21:00;Th,20:00-21:00
How to Remove time limit for any user in Windows 10
- Open PowerShell from the WIN + X super menu
- Type net user <username> /time:all
It will remove all the limits and let the user access the computer at any time of the day.
It is the fastest way to set up a time limit for any user on Windows 10 without Parental Control. It has its drawback as you will not be able to add advanced blocks, app control, and you will not receive any reports. It works on Windows 7 and Windows 8 as well.