Many a times if you are not able to play a certain type of media file, its possible you don’t have the driver or codec for those types of media files. Now before you fire away on Windows for that, then hold it. Windows does support media files but not all of them, hence a driver pack is required.
Shark007 is one of the popular sources for suck kind of codecs which also provide features not all codecs provide which makes it one of the most recommended codec software. Some time back they released codec pack for Windows 8 which provides tones of such features.
Mostly you might not have to do anything with the software configuration, but if you do take a look, you might find some options which can be useful to improve your user experience with Windows Media Player.
One of the important feature of this codec is Windows Swap which allows you to switch between Windows Codec or other third part codec like LAV’s Codec (XVID, DIVX, MP4V/ Direct Show) & PDVD12 Codec (MPEG2 / Direct Show).
You can even disable Windows Media Foundation, DMO Codec Functions, Microsoft’s Audio / Video Decoder and Support Live TV.
- Comes with a suggested feature set which helps you turn on the most general settings.
- Allows you to backup Codec Settings.
- Thumbnail for FLV’s and MKV’s.
- Preview Pane and Explorer Properties for for MKV and FLV File Types.
- Right click on any media file and add it to Windows media Player Playlist.
- Allow use of the PDVD12 decoders for 32bit LiveTV
- Supports the use of Xbox360 as Extenders to playback MKV files
- Supports Bitstreamed Audio
- Supports MOD audio files and M4A files containing ALAC.
- You can choose to enable and disable codecs installed on your computer.
You can download the setup file from the official website. A word of caution here is that mixing Codec can cause problems, hence the application, itself before installation, will uninstall any other codec and the install itself.