The issue of This version of WhatsApp has expired error has occurred on many people’s WhatsApp, be it PC or phone. If you get this error message, it implies you can’t access the messenger from your device. This can pose various kinds of problems, particularly if you need to access information stored on your account.
WhatsApp Web on your PC communicates with your phone. This, and many other issues, will occur if your phone is not linked to the Internet or the WhatsApp network. On your PC, the only thing you can do is verify your Internet connection. However, you may be able to resolve the issue by adjusting a few WhatsApp settings on your phone.
So, what are the reasons for This version of WhatsApp has expired error?
- Running an out-of-date WhatsApp version: WhatsApp publishes regular updates to correct problems and improve security, and if you have not updated the application in a while, chances are the installed version is no longer supported.
- Problems with app data: The issue is more likely to occur when critical WhatsApp files are missing or corrupt. However, this is an uncommon occurrence.
- Corrupted browser cookies: On the web, you may also receive the This version of WhatsApp has expired error, which is frequently caused by damaged browser cookies. Clearing them typically solves the problem.
The Version of WhatsApp Has Expired: Update WhatsApp
So, let us not waste much time and move on to the solutions to fix the error This version of WhatsApp has expired:
- Make Sure the Time Is Correct on Your Device
- Update WhatsApp on the PC/ Android/ iPhone
- Clear Cache and Data on PC/ Android/ iPhone
After trying each method, check if the issue is resolved or not.
1] Make Sure the Time Is Correct on Your Device
If your device is not set to the current date, please reset the date on the device and restart WhatsApp. The instructions for changing the system date settings on an Android device are listed below. iPhone, Windows, and other users can also change the date on their respective devices to solve the issue.
How to make sure the time is correct on your Android device
- Open your device’s Settings and click on System.
- Click on the Date & time option from the next page.
- Now, check whether the date and time are set correctly. If not, set your date and time and restart your device to resolve the issue.
How to check the time on your Windows PC
- Open Windows Settings and click the Time & language option on the left pane. Next, choose the Date & time option from the following window.
- In the next window, toggle off Set time automatically, if applicable. This will enable the Change button next to Set the date and time manually option.
- Click on the Change button. This will open a blue pop-up window where you can manually change the date and time. Click the Change button in the pop-up window to save the changes.
- Make sure to toggle off the Set time zone automatically option. Otherwise, the Time zone option will remain grayed out, and you cannot change it. So, you can change the time, save it, and restart your PC.
2] Update WhatsApp on the PC/ Android/ iPhone
Updating WhatsApp allows you to repair bugs and add new features to the program. Furthermore, it enhances your app experience and increases security. Follow the detailed tutorial given below on how to update WhatsApp Desktop on a PC, Android, and iPhone:
How to Update WhatsApp On a PC
The methods below will show you how to update WhatsApp Desktop on a PC or laptop running the Microsoft Windows operating system.
- Open Microsoft Store on your Windows PC. You can search for it in Windows Search.
- Click the Library button in the lower-left corner of the window.
- Scroll down or use the navigation to find WhatsApp Desktop.
- If updates are available, click on the Update button to install the latest WhatsApp desktop version.
If you are using an Apple MacBook and want to use WhatsApp Desktop, head to the App Store and search for WhatsApp Desktop. Click the Update button to install the most recent version of the messaging app.
How to Update WhatsApp On an Android Device
To update WhatsApp on an Android device, follow the steps given below:
Open Google Play Store on your Android device. Next, type WhatsApp into the Play Store search bar. Check if there are any updates available for WhatsApp and update it.
How to Update WhatsApp On iPhone
Follow the steps given below to update WhatsApp on your iPhone:
- Open App Store on your iPhone and press the person’s icon on the top left corner of the screen.
- Scroll down and check whether there are any updates available for WhatsApp. If so, click on the Update button to update the newest version of WhatsApp.
You will see an Open button if your application is already up to date. You can also search for WhatsApp Messenger in the App Store, open it, and press the Update button to download and install the latest recent update.
3] Clear Cache and Data on PC/ Android /iPhone
The cache is a form of memory that saves temporary data to allow your applications to load and operate more quickly. Similarly, WhatsApp cache retains certain temporary data to speed up the loading of chats, profile images, and thumbnails. Because it does not have to load everything from scratch, it gives a faster and smoother WhatsApp experience.
However, if the WhatsApp cache becomes too large, it begins to impact the efficiency of both WhatsApp and the phone, as each app has a restricted cache. In these cases, it is critical to clear the cache on WhatsApp.
How to Clear WhatsApp Cache On an Android Device
Clearing the WhatsApp cache on an Android device is a straightforward process. This is how you clear the cache on an Android device:
- Press the WhatsApp app on your Android device and the More info icon.
- Choose Storage & cache.
- Choose Clear cache from the Storage page.
You can use this method on any Android device to clear WhatsApp’s cache.
How to Clear WhatsApp Cache On an iPhone
You cannot erase the WhatsApp cache on your iPhone without deleting the WhatsApp app. If WhatsApp is taking up too much space on your iPhone, your only choice is to delete and reinstall it. The following are the steps for deleting and reinstalling WhatsApp on iPhone:
- Locate WhatsApp on your iPhone, long-press it, and select the Remove App option from the context menu.
- Choose Delete App from the Remove “WhatsApp”? pop-up window.
- After deleting WhatsApp, go to the App Store and search for WhatsApp. Once located, reinstall it on your iPhone and configure it with the WhatsApp backup.
Note: As you need to delete WhatsApp to clear the cache on your iPhone, it is preferable to build a WhatsApp backup to restore it later.
WhatsApp updates are primarily intended to ensure you receive all upgrades and bug fixes. However, if you have not updated your WhatsApp account in a while, the application shows an error message that prohibits you from accessing it. As a result, you should constantly try to update WhatsApp regularly.