Process Explorer gives you an extra hand to manage process, handles, dlls on windows vista and XP over windows task manager. Task Manager gives you a basic set of control over processes running under windows. Process Explorer goes on step ahead and can tell you what are the files and dll’s are open and loaded for any running process by just selecting it.
It works with Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows Server versions both 64 and 32 bit systems and IA64 processors.
Features of Process Explorer:
- Track All DLL’s and handles used by a particular process.
- Set Priority of any process from normal to real time.
- You can restart any process or program from process explorer.
- You can restrict any application to just have one instance. For an example if Internet Explorer is taking too much of memory you can set it to have one instance to save memory.
- Process Explorer also has a powerful search capability that will quickly show you which processes have particular handles opened or DLLs loaded.
- Replace the Default Task Manager by Process Explorer on using hot key ALT + CTRL + DEL.
- The unique capabilities of Process Explorer make it useful for tracking down DLL-version problems or handle leaks in windows XP and Vista
Here are the features which can be interesting to developers on Vista:
- Vista ASLR column for processes and DLLs.
- Vista Process and thread I/O and memory priorities in process and thread properties.
- Vista Process and thread I/O and memory columns.
- PROCESS_QUERY_LIMITED_INFORMATION support on process permissions on Vista.
- Run as limited user runs with low IL on Vista.
- Reports information for all object types on Vista.
- Show details for all processes elevation menu item on Vista.
- Supports replacement of task manager on Vista
This tool can be a good option and replacement from traditional task manager. You can even find or track duplicate dll problems. Download from here