Windows 8 has tons of features with the most famous Metro UI and the awesome start menu but if you want to take control over them by either removing The Windows 8 Metro Start by Windows 7 Menu ( I would prefer to use Windows 7 then ) or Disable the Ribbon Interface, or add apps shortcut or add shutdown, Restart, Switch User, Sleep, Lock, Logoff option to Windows 8 Start menu as tiles, [email protected] has released a Metro UI Tweaker for Windows 8.
Video Review :
Features of Metro UI Tweaker
- Disables the Windows Metro Start Menu.
- Removed the Explorer Ribbon Menu Integration.
- You can also choose to turn either one or both to get turned off.
- Enable those features back.
Now if you plan to use the Metro Interface, It can add tiles for Log Off, Switch User, Shutdown, Restart, Sleep and All. Out of these I will prefer to only add Shutdown and Restart because rest of the menu can be accessed when you click on the user account on top right. You can also get the Restart and Shutdown options when you press ALt + Control + Delete Key
How to use the Metro UI Twekaer :
- Download it from here.
- Next is to extract it from the zip file and then run the exe named as “Metro UI Tweaker” in Administrator mode.
- When you run the setup file, the Windows inbuilt security scanner, SmartScreen checks for this app security issues online.
- If in case it gives a warning that Windows Smart Screen is unreachable and cannot help you decide if program is okay to run or not,, Click on More Info link and you will get option to install it anyway.
- It will then display list of changes the app wants to make. Please accept to continue.
- It seems by default many features in Windows 8 are turned off unless some application makes a request. In case of Metro UI tweaker, It required to turn on .Net Framework 3.5.1 which if you do not have will be downloaded.
- Next the feature is turned on and Done that, Your Windows 8 Metro UI Tweaker is ready to run.
Using it :
- Now when you launch the Tweaker, don’t be surprised it does not have a Metro Interface, its the standard software UI but with all the options we talked.
- First make the changes and then switch to start menu to see if the new tiles showed up for Logoff, Switch User, Lock, Sleep, Restart and Shutdown
- If you have opted to remove the metro UI or the Ribbon UI, you will have to use Start Button and Explorer button respectively to find out.
- Everytime you make a change a complete restart is required.
Windows 8 Lock, Loggoff, Restart, Sleep, Shutdown added to Windows 8 Metro Start :
Windows 8 Without Metro Start Menu and Ribbon Menu Disabled :